May 13, 2011, 3:24 PM EDT
The ball is in Shaquille O’Neal’s court.
But Celtics head man Danny Ainge told CSN New England he believes Shaq has played his last game.
“I think so,” the Celtics’ director of basketball operations replied when asked if he thought Shaq had played his last game in the NBA. “It’s early to make those emotional decisions, but my guess is he has.”
Shaq has a player option for next season for $1.4 million.
He has said in the past he wanted to play one more season, to play when he was 40, and he wants another shot at a ring, what would be his fifth.
But this season he played just 12 minutes after the end of January as a lingering Achilles and calf injury would just not heal. He had battled a number of heath issues in recent seasons as the toll of a long NBA career started to wear on him.
If he does step away, it has been a glorious career.
- Tony Allen fined $5,000 for overacting on Ginobili foul 4
- Preview: Pacers must take back paint to even series with Heat 4
- Celtics deny Nets permission to speak with head coach Doc Rivers 5
- PBT Extra: Talking Heat/Pacers, and why Indy might be optimistic 12
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell 58
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (124)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (93)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (81)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (71)
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers (65)
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PBT: Pacers must take back paint to beat Heat
- PHT: Senators fight for playoff lives in Game 5
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights