What is in Kevin Durant’s backpack?

May 12, 2011, 11:51 AM EDT

kevin-durant-backpack AP

He has done this all season long — when Kevin Durant does a post-game interview he is often wearing a backpack. In the locker room, on a podium, wearing a sweater or a shirt and tie, doesn’t matter. He’s wearing a backpack.

That lead’s to the greatest mystery of this NBA season: What is in it?

After a huge Game 5 win, a reporter asked him.

Not that exciting.

His iPad (everybody in the NBA has an iPad, sometimes like cell phones more than one), plus a Bible, his headphones and his cell phone chargers.

That’s it. Boring.

He hammed it up a little for the TNT crew with the same question — somehow fitting a suitcase worth of clothes in that little backpack in that joking segment.

We may never know the real answer. I hate to think it’s as tedious and mundane as cell phone chargers. I think he has proof of the final landing spot for Amelia Earhart, but that’s just me.

1. crenfroe45 - May 12, 2011 at 12:21 PM

Marsellus Wallace’s soul.

2. dwighthowardisamazing - May 12, 2011 at 12:35 PM

I LOVE YOU KEVIN DURNAT

3. andrejohnsonforpresident - May 12, 2011 at 1:42 PM

I think he keeps nate robinson in there.

• andrejohnsonforpresident - May 14, 2011 at 7:45 PM

Not that anyone will ever see this but I bet the only thumbs down I got was from nate robinson haha

4. mrklutch - May 12, 2011 at 1:55 PM

I think it’s bin Laden’s private stash.

5. phoenix727 - May 12, 2011 at 2:08 PM

“Somehow fitting a suitcase full of close?”

Was that a play on words meaning he keeps his ability to “close” out games in there, or did somebody forget to use the spellcheck?

6. dirtybird2020 - May 12, 2011 at 3:31 PM

Nate robinson! Thats funny, atleast he isnt nothing like arenas or west and has it filled with guns! A bible, now thats a true man!

7. oumoonunit - May 12, 2011 at 4:07 PM

Just give him a bike helmet, and his Halloween costume as a Mormon would be complete.

8. jstrizzle - May 12, 2011 at 4:09 PM

What about the G-Series? I bought those products because I though KD used them for the Before, During, and After. Am I a victim of some sort of commercial fraud?

9. cosanostra71 - May 12, 2011 at 5:26 PM

I like that Durant is humble and seems to be a really grounded guy, on top of an outstanding basketball talent. I follow him on Facebook and Twitter and he really seems to enjoy interacting with fans. I remember last year he wrote that he was going to be at a mall in Detroit at a certain time, and he’d buy the first fan to find him a pair of his new shoes. And he did it! I wish there were more players in the NBA like him that were grateful for the people who root for them and really are the reason why they have a job.

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches