May 12, 2011, 2:40 PM EDT
He wasn’t the MVP, but LeBron James was the only player to be unanimously selected to the All-NBA first team.
All NBA First Team:
All NBA Second Team:
All NBA Third Team
Rajon Rondo ends up as the guy with the most votes who didn’t make it. He actually had more points than Horford and Randolph, but by position he was behind the other guards. A fourth team of guys who just missed would have been Rondo and Paul Pierce (I’m making PP a guard, just to go in vote order), Carmelo Anthony and Kevin Love at forward, Tim Duncan at center.
We can have a debate if Kobe Bryant really had a first-team kind of season, if Wade or Westbrook might not have been better, but it’s not a disaster of a choice. I’d have had Chris Paul farther up, as well, but injuries and a second half decline in the regular season hurt him. It’s good to see Randolph get voted in after the fans didn’t put him in the All-Star game.
If you go on down the list of who got votes, it again begs for transparency. We don’t know who voted for whom, but you should have to defend your choices. While the groupthink of the top three All-NBA teams ends up being defensable, there are some votes that are not.
Like three people voting Kendrick Perkins at center to an All-NBA team. Perkins played in just 29 games and has no offensive game to speak of — that is just a terrible vote. Also two people voted Toronto’s Andrea Bargnani on to All-NBA Third Team, and one person gave Eric Gordon of the Clippers a vote. So did Emeka Okafor. Someone really should explain those.
- NBA to review domestic violence policies in wake of NFL’s ugliness. It shouldn’t have taken that. 2
- Cavaliers lift ban on fan who ran onto court with LeBron James shirt 8
- Blake Griffin said he knew Donald Sterling was racist, wasn’t really surprised by tape 8
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Chicago Bulls 9
- Tony Parker hits a back over-the-head halfcourt shot (VIDEO) 8
- Timberwolves ‘not necessarily in a rush’ to agree to contract extension with Ricky Rubio 16
- Andray Blatche signs deal to play in China next season 11
- Is Klay Thompson the best two-way shooting guard? Stephen Curry would ‘put him up against anybody.’ 18