May 12, 2011, 11:18 AM EST
LeBron James has said before that he regretted how “The Decision” went down, how it was perceived.
Wednesday night, after he was incredibly clutch, after he slayed some demons, after his Heat team knocked off the Boston Celtics, LeBron apologized for The Decision, as reported by Brian Windhorst of ESPN.
“I knew deep down in my heart, as much as I loved my teammates back in Cleveland and as much as I loved home, I knew it couldn’t do it by myself against that team,” James said.
“The way it panned out with all the friends and family and the fans back home, I apologize for the way it happened. I knew this opportunity was once in a lifetime. To be able to come down here and pair with two guys and this organization — in order for me to move on with my career, that team that we just defeated, we had to go through them.
At this point, an apology to Cleveland will fall on deaf ears there. Those that have hardened their hearts against him will not be swayed by this.
And a series between these Heat and the 2010 version of the Celtics that went to the finals may have been different (it certainly would have been a harder road).
Now, while sitting on top of the basketball world for a day, it’s easier for him to say this.
But he uttered the words. And he appears to mean them.
- PBT Extra: Focusing on “epic showdown” between Knicks, Nets 2
- Carmelo Anthony: “We are the laughingstock of the league right now” 11
- Joe Johnson says players noticed friction between Jason Kidd and Lawrence Frank 23
- ‘Melo says Knicks players “worried” Woodson could lose job if losing continues 12
- The Extra Pass: Chemistry clicking in Denver as Nuggets beat Nets to win seventh straight, and Tuesday’s recaps 2
- Kobe Bryant takes to Twitter to defend his contract extension (100)
- Report: Dion Waiters accused Kyrie Irving, Tristan Thompson of playing “buddy ball.” (53)
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (53)
- John Wall: ‘I’m the best point guard in the league’ (45)
- With game in balance, Jason Kidd tells player to “hit me,” spills drink, gets psuedo timeout to draw up play (39)