May 12, 2011, 6:26 PM EDT
Lakers fans, you are going to need to be patient. Not your strength, I know, but you need to be. The Lakers management is going to take their time with this coaching search.
But that search will begin at home, reports Sam Amick at Sports Illustrated.
Then it will move on to Rick Adelman, according to ESPN.
Lead assistant Brian Shaw — the guy keeping the triangle offense — was always going to get a shot, but Chuck Person off the staff may as well.
Kupchak acknowledged that there would be “a candidate or two” from the existing staff. One of those coaches is widely known to be assistant Brian Shaw. An ESPN.com report indicated that the other is assistant Chuck Person. According to an SI.com source, Person is also expected to receive consideration for the Golden State vacancy. The source said Person will be a candidate in Indiana as well, depending on the uncertain future of interim Pacers coach Frank Vogel. Shaw is reportedly a candidate in Golden State and Houston, too.
But the Laker are “very interested” in Rick Adelman, recently released by the Rockets.
He has had success with veteran teams — remember how good his Portland teams were. His Kings teams. His “corner” offense is not a dramatically different system than the triangle (and it likes a passing big man in the high post, not unlike Pau Gasol).
Mike Dunleavy is rumored to be getting a chance. One other thing to remember — before Phil Jackson, the Buss family was known for not spending big on coaches. Pat Riley was plucked out of the announcing booth. A candidate out of left field that fits that kind of mold is not out of the question.
Ultimately, the Buss family wants to return to a faster-paced, Showtime era kind of team. Right now, they do not have the roster to do that — they have Kobe Bryant, more suited to a half-court game, and a lot of size up front. They need a point guard, they need more athleticism off the bench, but they are a long, long way from being able to run a transition style team. That rebuilding may wait a while.
So Adelman as a several year stopgap has some logic to it. But eventually the Lakers will blow it up and try to run again.
- USA Basketball announces 12 man roster for World Cup; Parsons, Hayward, Lillard, Korver cut 0
- USA Basketball cruises to exhibition win over Puerto Rico with final roster cuts looming 1
- Report: Timberwolves to end up with Thad Young, Anthony Bennett as part of Kevin Love trade 79
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 13
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 16
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 54
- Report: Nike gets chance to match 10-year, $265 million offer to Kevin Durant from Under Armour 18
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 20