May 11, 2011, 11:15 AM EDT
For those of you playing NBA playoffs fantasy basketball, let’s hope you didn’t pick up Shaquille O’Neal.
After playing 3:31 in the first quarter of Game 4 and picking up two quick fouls and nothing else, Shaq has had a relapse of his calf/Achilles injury and will not play in Game 5, Doc Rivers told the media, according to CSN New England’s A. Sherrod Blakely. Shaq is reportedly dragging his bad leg around the facility.
“”It just never healed, and still hasn’t,” Rivers said. “Every time he plays now, it gets worse. There’s nothing you can do about it.”
Shaq played sparingly in Games 3 and 4, but has not mattered in this series. Other than the Shaq the Celtics had at the start of the season would have created size matchup problems for Miami, and the Heat have needed that.
Miami has gone a lot with a smaller lineup that has Chris Bosh and 6’9” Joel Anthony at the center, and the Celtics have not been able to punish the Heat inside for that. The athleticism of LeBron James and Dwyane Wade is part of that — they can drop down and block shots — but a healthy Shaq would have changed the equation. But you can no longer bet on a healthy Shaq being there.
Boston needs to find a way to make the Heat pay and change that dynamic fast, or their season will end tonight.
- Ray Allen: “I won’t officially retire” 11
- Report: Adidas makes $200 million offer to James Harden 18
- Jahlil Okafor: “Rookie of the Year is one of the goals I set for myself” 15
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 9
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 4
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9