May 11, 2011, 11:15 AM EDT
For those of you playing NBA playoffs fantasy basketball, let’s hope you didn’t pick up Shaquille O’Neal.
After playing 3:31 in the first quarter of Game 4 and picking up two quick fouls and nothing else, Shaq has had a relapse of his calf/Achilles injury and will not play in Game 5, Doc Rivers told the media, according to CSN New England’s A. Sherrod Blakely. Shaq is reportedly dragging his bad leg around the facility.
“”It just never healed, and still hasn’t,” Rivers said. “Every time he plays now, it gets worse. There’s nothing you can do about it.”
Shaq played sparingly in Games 3 and 4, but has not mattered in this series. Other than the Shaq the Celtics had at the start of the season would have created size matchup problems for Miami, and the Heat have needed that.
Miami has gone a lot with a smaller lineup that has Chris Bosh and 6’9” Joel Anthony at the center, and the Celtics have not been able to punish the Heat inside for that. The athleticism of LeBron James and Dwyane Wade is part of that — they can drop down and block shots — but a healthy Shaq would have changed the equation. But you can no longer bet on a healthy Shaq being there.
Boston needs to find a way to make the Heat pay and change that dynamic fast, or their season will end tonight.
- Report: Mavericks looking to move No. 13 pick to clear out cap space for run at Howard, CP3 21
- Report: Mike Krzyzewski to return, coach Team USA in 2016 Olympics 12
- Lakers GM Kupchak denies he, Howard talked about D’Antoni 17
- Kevin Love and Flip Saunders hitting it off 6
- Three things about Game 2: Tony Parker is that good but Randolph, Grizzlies figuring it out 6
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (88)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (75)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Seattle group releases statement; forced to wait, hope for expansion (64)
- Live Extra: Watch Penguins-Senators, Game 4
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- PBT: Rugged Pacers hope to slow high-flying Heat
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games
- PFT: Crabtree tears achilles, out six months