May 11, 2011, 9:51 AM EDT
Next Tuesday the Kryie Irving lottery takes place in Secaucus New Jersey. Some people call it the NBA Draft Lottery, which will determine the draft order for the league. But really this year it’s about Irving or getting a future role player.
The Sacramento Kings have an 8.8 percent chance of landing the top prize (then figuring out how he would play along side Tyreke Evans, but they’ll worry about that later). To up their chances they are sending the Kings fans lucky charm.
Sacramento Mayor Kevin Johnson will represent the team at the draft lottery, according to Slam Magazine.
Johnson was the guy who helped come up with new sponsorship money from the community and wowed the Board of Governors (the other owners) and relocation committee enough for them to tell the Maloof brothers that Sacramento deserved one more chance. One more year. He spearheaded a drive that stopped the Kings move to Anaheim. (For now, anyway.)
He’s not the Maloofs lucky charm, but he is the fans’ so he will go. Also, it has been reported that new owner Joe Lacob will represent the Golden State Warriors (0.8 percent chance).
- Wade says left knee sore, swollen, but will play through it 0
- Popovich explains decision to sit Duncan late in regulation of Game 6 9
- Game 6 was not Gregg Popovich’s best night 44
- LeBron James gets another triple-double, now favorite for Finals MVP 17
- ‘Devastated’ Manu Ginobili says he has no clue how Spurs will re-energize for Game 7 44
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 (125)
- If Spurs win, it is LeBron’s legacy that will take biggest hit (85)
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- LeBron James: “I just have to play better” (78)
- Chris Bosh blocks Spurs’ Game 6 comeback attempt (video) (75)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- Underseeded? Nadal draws No. 5 at Wimbledon
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- Play Video: Bosh: 'We'll see who hits first'
- Play Video: Clippers, Celtics discussions 'can't be wrong'
- Play Video: Elliot looks ahead to Game 6
- Play Video: The Hype: How much would you pay to punch someone?
- Play Video: If Heat lose, 'all hell will break loose'
- Play Video: Green breaks NBA finals 3-point record