May 11, 2011, 7:20 PM EST
Lakers fans are ready to break up the team.
It’s not like they won two previous championships and 57 games this past season. (Oh, wait…) They had a very bad playoffs, they looked fatigued and disinterested, they ran basic sets of the triangle offense and not the depth of it needed to counter what the Mavericks did (something Luke Walton mentioned at his exit interview). They were not athletic enough.
So, clearly, take the longest, most skilled front line in the NBA and break it up, because it will never win again.
“This is nonsense,” he said. “I remember [the Lakers] had a pretty good era in the ’80s and they didn’t win three [titles] in a row. They didn’t break that team up….
“If you’re asking me do I believe we can come back and do it again,” he said, “I absolutely believe that we can come back and do it again.”
Kobe was very Kobe during his exit meeting with the press. Confident they could do it again, with this core. Saying that this season was a year wasted in his life.
But he is right. Tall and good beats small and good, and the Lakers are still tall and good. They didn’t play like it in the playoffs, they played like a team mentally and physically worn out. They need more athleticism around the core. They need some shooters. If they switch systems they need a new point guard.
- Derrick Rose expected to return in 4-6 weeks. In time for playoffs. 19
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Thursday: The Cavaliers we expected have arrived 16
- Report: George Karl controls Kings’ personnel, wants Ty Lawson, willing to move DeMarcus Cousins 29
- Paul George returns to practice with Pacers, could play in couple weeks 8
- Report: LeBron James wonders why he doesn’t get more MVP consideration 41
- Would Rajon Rondo leave the Mavericks for the Lakers? 61
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: The Spurs losing rodeo road trip a bad sign 14
- PBT Extra: What is future for Derrick Rose? Bulls? 13