May 11, 2011, 8:43 PM EST
Byron Scott is a favorite son of Lakers owner Jerry Buss. Scott has openly lusted for the Lakers coaching gig.
The Lakers have an open coaching vacancy, ergo…
No. Don’t go there.
While B Scott’s name on speculative lists of Lakers coaching candidates, Cavs would not let him go and he has no “out” clause in contract
There is no chance Dan Gilbert would have approved a contract with an out clause to leave his team for a big market power. Think about it. Now, theoretically anything has its price, if the Lakers had some players/picks the Cavs wanted. But, if you think Jerry Buss is giving up future player assets to get a coach, well, I wouldn’t play poker against the man if I were you. (Same goes for his son Jim, who also will be big on this call.)
What’s more, Scott is just not a good fit as a coach, period.
Scott’s system is point guard dependent — he has looked good with Jason Kidd in his prime and Chris Paul — but this would mean an overhaul of the Lakers roster in a big way we’re not sure the Lakers want to make.
Then, if they did hire him, Lakers fans could start the wait for inevitable mutiny of the players to Scott — it happened in New Jersey quite publicly and was part of the reason for his dismissal in New Orleans. Scott is not a long-term answer, if they brought him back they’d just be trying to sell the memories of Showtime again for a few years.
- Derrick Rose to those doubting his return: “You can be a fool if you want to” 0
- You knew this was coming: Carmelo Anthony denies report he has decided to leave Knicks 7
- Kevin Hart to write, star in movie with LeBron James 8
- The Extra Pass: A Google goggle revolution dream, plus Wednesday’s recaps 3
- Wednesday night NBA Grades: LaMarcus Aldridge is a flat out stud 9
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- Report: Dion Waiters accused Kyrie Irving, Tristan Thompson of playing “buddy ball.” (53)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (41)
- With game in balance, Jason Kidd tells player to “hit me,” spills drink, gets psuedo timeout to draw up play (40)