May 11, 2011, 8:43 PM EDT
Byron Scott is a favorite son of Lakers owner Jerry Buss. Scott has openly lusted for the Lakers coaching gig.
The Lakers have an open coaching vacancy, ergo…
No. Don’t go there.
While B Scott’s name on speculative lists of Lakers coaching candidates, Cavs would not let him go and he has no “out” clause in contract
There is no chance Dan Gilbert would have approved a contract with an out clause to leave his team for a big market power. Think about it. Now, theoretically anything has its price, if the Lakers had some players/picks the Cavs wanted. But, if you think Jerry Buss is giving up future player assets to get a coach, well, I wouldn’t play poker against the man if I were you. (Same goes for his son Jim, who also will be big on this call.)
What’s more, Scott is just not a good fit as a coach, period.
Scott’s system is point guard dependent — he has looked good with Jason Kidd in his prime and Chris Paul — but this would mean an overhaul of the Lakers roster in a big way we’re not sure the Lakers want to make.
Then, if they did hire him, Lakers fans could start the wait for inevitable mutiny of the players to Scott — it happened in New Jersey quite publicly and was part of the reason for his dismissal in New Orleans. Scott is not a long-term answer, if they brought him back they’d just be trying to sell the memories of Showtime again for a few years.
- Kevin Durant scores 42, Thunder win a chippy one over Rockets 3
- Report: Lakers to officially declare Kobe Bryant out for the season 11
- Suns’ P.J. Tucker suspended one game for blow to head of Blake Griffin 8
- Vogel: Andrew Bynum to play for Indiana Pacers Tuesday night 14
- Report: Phil Jackson expected to finalize contract with Knicks by end of week 32