May 11, 2011, 11:36 PM EDT
Apparently Doc Rivers wants to do more than just hang out around Mike Krzyzewski’s practices next season.
After a season where the conventional wisdom was he was walking away at the end of the season, he said after the Celtics were eliminated Wednesday you probably will have him to kick around next season, as reported by CSN New England.
“I’m leaning heavily toward coming back,” said Rivers in his postgame press conference. “I haven’t made that decision, but I can tell you I probably will. I’ve kind of come to that over the last couple of weeks. I’m a Celtic, and I love our guys.
“I want to win again here. I do. I’m competitive as hell, I have a competitive group. And so well see. But I can tell you that’s where I’m at today. Tomorrow I may change my mind, but that’s where I’m at today…
“These guys aren’t done,” he said. “We need to add some pieces, but I love those guys in the locker room.”
Honestly, I have some serious questions about whether Rivers can win again in Boston, but there is no doubt that these guys are competitive, that this core wants to win with a white-hot passion. There is no doubt this is a tight group and that the “big four” will be back next season. And one would be hard pressed to blame Rivers for wanting to make one more run with a group he clearly thinks of as his second family.
Plus, in a year he’ll get to see his son up close in the NBA anyway.
- Report: Klay Thompson’s camp ‘frustrated’ Warriors have yet to offer a max contract extension 6
- Report: Kobe Bryant viewed Dwight Howard leaving Lakers in free agency as ‘a positive’ 43
- Report: Cavaliers have had ‘zero discussion’ on contract extension with Tristan Thompson 19
- Why I am going to miss Steve Nash 26
- Victor Oladipo out indefinitely after taking elbow in practice, suffering facial fracture 13
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New Orleans Pelicans 10
- Five teams poised to make a big leap forward this season 5
- Steve Nash to miss entire 2014-15 season with ongoing back injuries 70