Doc Rivers “leaning heavily” toward coming back

May 11, 2011, 11:36 PM EDT

Doc Rivers

Apparently Doc Rivers wants to do more than just hang out around Mike Krzyzewski’s practices next season.

After a season where the conventional wisdom was he was walking away at the end of the season, he said after the Celtics were eliminated Wednesday you probably will have him to kick around next season, as reported by CSN New England.

“I’m leaning heavily toward coming back,” said Rivers in his postgame press conference. “I haven’t made that decision, but I can tell you I probably will. I’ve kind of come to that over the last couple of weeks. I’m a Celtic, and I love our guys.

“I want to win again here. I do. I’m competitive as hell, I have a competitive group. And so well see. But I can tell you that’s where I’m at today. Tomorrow I may change my mind, but that’s where I’m at today…

“These guys aren’t done,” he said. “We need to add some pieces, but I love those guys in the locker room.”

Honestly, I have some serious questions about whether Rivers can win again in Boston, but there is no doubt that these guys are competitive, that this core wants to win with a white-hot passion. There is no doubt this is a tight group and that the “big four” will be back next season. And one would be hard pressed to blame Rivers for wanting to make one more run with a group he clearly thinks of as his second family.

Plus, in a year he’ll get to see his son up close in the NBA anyway.

1. passerby23 - May 11, 2011 at 11:54 PM

I know a lot of people will disagree, but I’m not in the camp that the Celtics are done. Unlike the Lakers who were completely outclassed, the Celtics were victims of misfortune. A healthy Rondo probably wins them Games 4 and 5 and gives them a 3-2 lead in the series heading home to Boston. Then, the series might look a lot different.

I do agree with Rivers they need to add some pieces, but Pierce, Allen, and KG didn’t look old to me. They need another athletic big and some help on the wing, but I think this team can reload and make another run if they add a piece or two.

And no, they didn’t lose because of Perkins.

• zackd2 - May 12, 2011 at 7:06 PM

“A healthy Rondo probably wins them Games 4 and 5 and gives them a 3-2 lead in the series heading home to Boston”

Just like a healthy KG gives them their 2nd ring and a healthy Perk gives them their 3rd ring right?

2. sandmanjackson77 - May 11, 2011 at 11:55 PM

Lets go doc! I belive just like you do.

3. trbowman - May 12, 2011 at 12:26 AM

They’ve got one run left in them, imo.

• steelyres211 - May 12, 2011 at 12:52 AM

No, this was the last “real” run, and Danny Ainge traded it away when he dealt Perkins and decided that they could win with 2 broken down old men named O’Neal.

I can’t see them being a year older and beating either Chicago or Miami.

• andyhr17 - May 12, 2011 at 9:24 AM

The big men wouldn’t have played a huge role in this series. Miami was at it’s best when it went small. Perkins and a healthy Shaq would’ve made no difference. The Celts had no answer for LeBron and Wade. That was the difference.

4. budrow - May 12, 2011 at 6:12 AM

Good for Doc. I hope he’s going back. I hope they add some pieces so we can see them against the Heat in the playoffs next year. Kudos for not jumping ship.

5. svallen - May 12, 2011 at 6:59 AM

Doc Rivers says that he is leaning towards coming back next year only because the core of their team will become free agents after next season. Shaq, Jermaine O’Neal, Ray Allen, and Garnett (and Green if you want to add him in there) all have deals that end after next season. Why not come back from one last shot at the title. Not sure if it will work with the “Big 3″ running out of gas here. If they are to content Boston will have to find some youth and spunk as Chicago has in Derrick Rose. I would love to see Boston make another run at the title – at least give the competitive spark to have a real dynamic rivalry with Miami.

Source for free agents: http://www.spotrac.com/nba/boston-celtics/

• andyhr17 - May 12, 2011 at 9:18 AM

No reason why he shouldn’t come back for another run. The Big Three are aging, but they still all put up respectable stats. They just can’t do it all on their own anymore (like the Heat’s trio). If you look at their two runs to the finals their bench came up huge. This year their bench forgot to travel with them to the second round. Add the necessary pieces around them, don’t hinge any hope on Shaq, not stop playing the last month of the season, and there’s no reason why this team can’t make one last run at something.

This is the point where Heat fans are supposed to thumbs down this, say how the Heat will win the next 10 championships, and how the Celtics should enroll for their AARP cards.

6. zackd2 - May 12, 2011 at 7:10 PM

No no no, he’s retiring because he wants to see his son’s last year of high school. Wait, ok no he’s walking away because he wants to see his son’s first year of college ball. Wait, he’s returning because of the $$$$$.

Who wants to bet he re-signs before the lock-out?

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches