May 11, 2011, 11:36 PM EST
Apparently Doc Rivers wants to do more than just hang out around Mike Krzyzewski’s practices next season.
After a season where the conventional wisdom was he was walking away at the end of the season, he said after the Celtics were eliminated Wednesday you probably will have him to kick around next season, as reported by CSN New England.
“I’m leaning heavily toward coming back,” said Rivers in his postgame press conference. “I haven’t made that decision, but I can tell you I probably will. I’ve kind of come to that over the last couple of weeks. I’m a Celtic, and I love our guys.
“I want to win again here. I do. I’m competitive as hell, I have a competitive group. And so well see. But I can tell you that’s where I’m at today. Tomorrow I may change my mind, but that’s where I’m at today…
“These guys aren’t done,” he said. “We need to add some pieces, but I love those guys in the locker room.”
Honestly, I have some serious questions about whether Rivers can win again in Boston, but there is no doubt that these guys are competitive, that this core wants to win with a white-hot passion. There is no doubt this is a tight group and that the “big four” will be back next season. And one would be hard pressed to blame Rivers for wanting to make one more run with a group he clearly thinks of as his second family.
Plus, in a year he’ll get to see his son up close in the NBA anyway.
- Report: Knicks have ‘zero intention’ of trading Carmelo Anthony 0
- PBT Podcast for Dec. 7: Kobe’s back and for the Lakers that means…. 0
- Kobe Bryant returning Sunday against Raptors 18
- Report: Rockets stepping up efforts to move Omer Asik 10
- Rumor: Carmelo Anthony recruiting Rajon Rondo to come to New York in 2015 18
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (43)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (40)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (38)