May 11, 2011, 11:36 PM EDT
Apparently Doc Rivers wants to do more than just hang out around Mike Krzyzewski’s practices next season.
After a season where the conventional wisdom was he was walking away at the end of the season, he said after the Celtics were eliminated Wednesday you probably will have him to kick around next season, as reported by CSN New England.
“I’m leaning heavily toward coming back,” said Rivers in his postgame press conference. “I haven’t made that decision, but I can tell you I probably will. I’ve kind of come to that over the last couple of weeks. I’m a Celtic, and I love our guys.
“I want to win again here. I do. I’m competitive as hell, I have a competitive group. And so well see. But I can tell you that’s where I’m at today. Tomorrow I may change my mind, but that’s where I’m at today…
“These guys aren’t done,” he said. “We need to add some pieces, but I love those guys in the locker room.”
Honestly, I have some serious questions about whether Rivers can win again in Boston, but there is no doubt that these guys are competitive, that this core wants to win with a white-hot passion. There is no doubt this is a tight group and that the “big four” will be back next season. And one would be hard pressed to blame Rivers for wanting to make one more run with a group he clearly thinks of as his second family.
Plus, in a year he’ll get to see his son up close in the NBA anyway.
- Report: Timberwolves to end up with Thad Young, Anthony Bennett as part of Kevin Love trade 78
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 13
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 16
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 54
- Report: Nike gets chance to match 10-year, $265 million offer to Kevin Durant from Under Armour 18
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 20
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 36
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 32