May 11, 2011, 11:36 PM EST
Apparently Doc Rivers wants to do more than just hang out around Mike Krzyzewski’s practices next season.
After a season where the conventional wisdom was he was walking away at the end of the season, he said after the Celtics were eliminated Wednesday you probably will have him to kick around next season, as reported by CSN New England.
“I’m leaning heavily toward coming back,” said Rivers in his postgame press conference. “I haven’t made that decision, but I can tell you I probably will. I’ve kind of come to that over the last couple of weeks. I’m a Celtic, and I love our guys.
“I want to win again here. I do. I’m competitive as hell, I have a competitive group. And so well see. But I can tell you that’s where I’m at today. Tomorrow I may change my mind, but that’s where I’m at today…
“These guys aren’t done,” he said. “We need to add some pieces, but I love those guys in the locker room.”
Honestly, I have some serious questions about whether Rivers can win again in Boston, but there is no doubt that these guys are competitive, that this core wants to win with a white-hot passion. There is no doubt this is a tight group and that the “big four” will be back next season. And one would be hard pressed to blame Rivers for wanting to make one more run with a group he clearly thinks of as his second family.
Plus, in a year he’ll get to see his son up close in the NBA anyway.
- Dwight Howard out vs. Mavericks Saturday, no timetable for his return 1
- If Derrick Rose not ready to return by Monday Bulls may add point guard to roster 8
- Another day, another Bulls injury: Taj Gibson out with sprained ankle 10
- Report: Kevin Durant, Russell Westbrook could return to Thunder lineup next week 11
- Kobe Bryant says he took large enough discount for Lakers to contend 55
- Report: Jeff Taylor won’t appeal 24-game suspension 2
- Timberwolves’ Kevin Martin out indefinitely after scoring 31 points with fractured wrist 8
- Andrei Kirilenko leaves Nets for road trip, Lionel Hollins unsure if he’ll return 14