What is old is new again with Wizards uniforms

May 10, 2011, 12:08 PM EST

Wiz1

There are things I feel comfortable doing as a blogger — breaking down plays, discussing strategy, talking trade rumors, divining grand meaning from simple statements that the speaker had no intention of becoming a big deal.

Fashion… not in my wheelhouse.

So I will reserve comments on the Washington Wizards’ new look. Maybe it will grow on me.

I like the idea of the team in the nation’s capital in red, white and blue. In theory I like the effort to go back to an old school, Washington Bullets kind of look. Like I said, maybe it will grow on me.

You decide for yourself. Since this is a fashion issue, I’m going to ask my wife what I think.

1. goforthanddie - May 10, 2011 at 12:30 PM

They look like uniforms from one of those countries that isn’t very good at basketball.

2. zblott - May 10, 2011 at 1:36 PM

Did they really not notice that the top half of the numbers get lost in the blue stripe on the white shirts? I’m no physicist, but even I know enough about wavelengths of colors to know that red is hard to see on a blue background.

3. digitalpoo - May 10, 2011 at 1:42 PM

FAIL

4. b7p19 - May 10, 2011 at 2:46 PM

Fan-f#$%ing-tastic. Love them. Now THAT is a basketball uniform.

5. kinggw - May 10, 2011 at 3:03 PM

The only thing that has improved from the old unis is the color scheme, these are god awful.

6. cosanostra71 - May 10, 2011 at 3:23 PM

I like them. I like the Sixers’ uniforms as well- and their court is my favorite in the NBA after the Lakers (and that’s mostly for homer reasons). I hated the standardization of NBA uniforms in the early part of the 2000s. For a while there, the Jazz, Grizzlies, Nets, Pistons, Hawks, Magic, Clippers, Suns, Kings, Mavericks, Rockets, Hornets and Spurs all essentially had the exact same uniform, just with different team names and color schemes. They had the same lettering and placement of names and numbers. I like the old school look with bold color schemes and placement of lettering and numbers. Bright colors to make the uniforms stick out. Some teams will never change (and shouldn’t) – like the Lakers, Celtics and Knicks – but I like the movement of teams like the Jazz, Warriors, Sixers and now the Wizards to break away and create unique and exciting uniforms. Not a huge fan of the Jazz and Warriors new uniforms (right idea, bad execution), but still moving in the right direction.

7. hbdbrowns33 - May 10, 2011 at 4:15 PM

The home one looks good but the away looks terrible. If they wanted to use the red ,white, and blue they should of just went dominate blue or dominate red that looks really bad with the bars of blue and white in the middle.

8. eagles512 - May 10, 2011 at 8:18 PM

Anything is an improvement on the worst unis in the NBA.

9. dwighthowardisamazing - May 10, 2011 at 9:12 PM

ugliest things ever

Can Rockets, Grizzlies keep up hot starts?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches