May 10, 2011, 8:58 PM EDT
The Golden State Warriors have started their interview process and apparently they are thinking about a more defensive mindset.
The Warriors are bringing in former Cavaliers coach Mike Brown and former Minnesota head coach (and current Dallas assistant) Dwane Casey to interview, according to CSN Bay Area (Marc Stein of ESPN had it first). Also Lawrence Frank, the former Nets head man and current Celtics assistant, could be in the mix.
The one thing you note with all three of these men is owner Joe Lacob’s Celtics-minded influence — those are guys who will preach defense first. Good luck doing that with the current roster, but you get the feeling that will be changing, too.
CSN’s Warriors insider Matt Steinmetz isn’t sure Brown will be a good fit.
(Brown) might not be everyone’s cup of tea, and there are certainly legitimate questions about whether he’s got enough offensive creativity, but he’s a proven coach and he’ll work again, no doubt about it.
At the end of the day, I don’t think Brown is a good fit, however. The reason I’d be a little scared of Brown is because he’s never coached a team without LeBron James on it, and the Warriors don’t have anyone like LeBron James.
The Warriors fired Keith Smart after his one season, looking to take the team in a different direction. The Warriors are taking their time with this search. If they take too long with Casey or Frank they could lose them to the Rockets, who have those two and Kevin McHale on their final list.
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 12
- Wisconsin State Assembly passes Bucks arena deal, clearing the way for Gov. Walker to sign 12
- Phil Jackson says Knicks wanted Goran Dragic at trade deadline. Because he’s such a triangle fit? 16
- Report: Cavaliers sign Matthew Dellavedova 10
- Heat trade Zoran Dragic, second-rounder to Celtics 11
- Report: Cavaliers trade Brendan Haywood, Mike Miller, two second-round picks to Portland 17
- Blake Griffin, Stephen Curry among latest big names headed to Team USA mini-camp 8
- Kyrie Irving off crutches, cleared by doctors to start working out 8