May 10, 2011, 8:58 PM EDT
The Golden State Warriors have started their interview process and apparently they are thinking about a more defensive mindset.
The Warriors are bringing in former Cavaliers coach Mike Brown and former Minnesota head coach (and current Dallas assistant) Dwane Casey to interview, according to CSN Bay Area (Marc Stein of ESPN had it first). Also Lawrence Frank, the former Nets head man and current Celtics assistant, could be in the mix.
The one thing you note with all three of these men is owner Joe Lacob’s Celtics-minded influence — those are guys who will preach defense first. Good luck doing that with the current roster, but you get the feeling that will be changing, too.
CSN’s Warriors insider Matt Steinmetz isn’t sure Brown will be a good fit.
(Brown) might not be everyone’s cup of tea, and there are certainly legitimate questions about whether he’s got enough offensive creativity, but he’s a proven coach and he’ll work again, no doubt about it.
At the end of the day, I don’t think Brown is a good fit, however. The reason I’d be a little scared of Brown is because he’s never coached a team without LeBron James on it, and the Warriors don’t have anyone like LeBron James.
The Warriors fired Keith Smart after his one season, looking to take the team in a different direction. The Warriors are taking their time with this search. If they take too long with Casey or Frank they could lose them to the Rockets, who have those two and Kevin McHale on their final list.
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 12
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 11
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 54
- Report: Nike gets chance to match 10-year, $265 million offer to Kevin Durant from Under Armour 17
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 18
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 34
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 32
- Kevin Durant reiterates that rest was his reason for withdrawing from Team USA 11