May 10, 2011, 5:51 PM EDT
Pacers owner Herb Simon has decided to keep Larry Bird around as team president.
It took a few weeks for the Pacers to get around to making this decision, but they finally got there and announced it on Tuesday.
“I’m quite pleased with the success we experienced this past season and pleased with the direction our team is going. I’m glad Larry is staying to help us continue in the positive direction we are going,” Simon said in a released statement.
Bird also made a comment in that statement.
“The past few months have been the most enjoyable since I took over as President of Basketball Operations. To see our young players develop, to see us make the playoffs and then to see us compete in a hard-fought series with Chicago are indications we are headed in the right direction and it has made me even more determined to help this team improve further and go to the next level.”
The Pacers jelled under interim coach Frank Vogel, who very well may not be interim soon. The Pacers finished the season on a 20-18 run and pushed the Bulls hard in the first round of the playoffs.
But there is still a lot of work for Bird to do. This team has a good number two star in Danny Granger and a number of good role players – but now it needs the ace. The hardest part to get. Especially when you’re not a team at the top of the lottery or in a large market that can draw free agents. Larry Bird has some real work ahead of him.
- Report: Mavericks looking to move No. 13 pick to clear out cap space for run at Howard, CP3 26
- Report: Mike Krzyzewski to return, coach Team USA in 2016 Olympics 13
- Lakers GM Kupchak denies he, Howard talked about D’Antoni 19
- Kevin Love and Flip Saunders hitting it off 6
- Three things about Game 2: Tony Parker is that good but Randolph, Grizzlies figuring it out 6
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (88)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (75)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- Live Extra: Watch Penguins-Senators, Game 4
- LIVE: Heat host Pacers in Game 1 of East finals
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games