May 10, 2011, 2:23 PM EDT
Josh Smith hears your complaints Atlanta. He hears the groans in Phillips Arena every time he goes up for a jumpshot outside of five feet.
And he wants you to know he things you’re wrong, he told the Atlanta Journal Constitution.
“I’ve been a pretty good perimeter shooter this whole season. If people have been here all season they know I’ve done it all year. People who are here for the special times don’t understand.”
Actually, Josh, you haven’t been pretty good all year.
You shot 31.1 percent on shots from 10-15 feet. That’s not good. You took more than four long-two pointers (16-23 feet) per game, and that is the least efficient shot in basketball. You hit a decent 39 percent of those, but other teams will gladly give you that shot and that percentage to keep you from attacking the rim. See there, you shot 66 percent (inside the restricted area). You took as many long twos as you did shots at the rim. With your athleticism, that simply should not be the case.
You did shoot the corner three pretty well — 42 percent. Of course, you took less than one of those a game. Most of your threes come out on the arc, where you shoot 29 percent. Not good.
And it’s all been worse in the playoffs — you are shooting 15 percent from the midrange, you have yet to hit a corner three and you are shooting 21 percent out on the arc from three. But, get in the paint and you shoot fantastic numbers.
Josh, don’t take this the wrong way, but the crowd is right to groan. Don’t settle, attack more. Go to the post. When you do the Hawks entire offense is so much more dynamic. When you and your teammates fall in love with the jumper is when things go bad.
Thanks for listening.
- Derrick Rose returns to full-contact practice, Bulls return date still unknown 2
- Report: Sacramento consultant Chris Mullin to take St. John’s head coaching job 2
- PBT Extra: Taking twitter questions on Clippers, Michael Carter-Williams, more 3
- PBT’s NBA Power Rankings: Cream rising to top as playoffs near 27
- Report: Patrick Beverley out for rest of season, including playoffs 7
- Breaking down Western Conference playoff chase with two weeks left in season 9
- Breaking down Eastern Conference playoff chase with two weeks left in season 10
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: Dwyane Wade is going to will Heat into playoffs 15