May 10, 2011, 2:23 PM EDT
Josh Smith hears your complaints Atlanta. He hears the groans in Phillips Arena every time he goes up for a jumpshot outside of five feet.
And he wants you to know he things you’re wrong, he told the Atlanta Journal Constitution.
“I’ve been a pretty good perimeter shooter this whole season. If people have been here all season they know I’ve done it all year. People who are here for the special times don’t understand.”
Actually, Josh, you haven’t been pretty good all year.
You shot 31.1 percent on shots from 10-15 feet. That’s not good. You took more than four long-two pointers (16-23 feet) per game, and that is the least efficient shot in basketball. You hit a decent 39 percent of those, but other teams will gladly give you that shot and that percentage to keep you from attacking the rim. See there, you shot 66 percent (inside the restricted area). You took as many long twos as you did shots at the rim. With your athleticism, that simply should not be the case.
You did shoot the corner three pretty well — 42 percent. Of course, you took less than one of those a game. Most of your threes come out on the arc, where you shoot 29 percent. Not good.
And it’s all been worse in the playoffs — you are shooting 15 percent from the midrange, you have yet to hit a corner three and you are shooting 21 percent out on the arc from three. But, get in the paint and you shoot fantastic numbers.
Josh, don’t take this the wrong way, but the crowd is right to groan. Don’t settle, attack more. Go to the post. When you do the Hawks entire offense is so much more dynamic. When you and your teammates fall in love with the jumper is when things go bad.
Thanks for listening.
- LaMarcus Aldridge has chosen to sign with Spurs 65
- Who should Clippers get to replace DeAndre Jordan? How about Blake Griffin. 42
- Report: Tobias Harris reaches four-year, $64 million extension to stay with Orlando 25
- Report: Rajon Rondo agrees to one-year, $9.5 million deal with Sacramento Kings 47
- Report: DeAndre Jordan agrees to four-year, $80 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 56
- Report: Kings signing Marco Belinelli to three-year, $19 million contract 19
- Report: Knicks to sign Robin Lopez to four-year, $54 million contract (unless DeAndre Jordan changes his mind) 12
- PBT Extra: Free agent signings we didn’t love 6