Dwight Howard takes shot at Orlando Sentinel for “dumb articles”

May 10, 2011, 9:38 AM EDT

Orlando Magic v Phoenix Suns Getty Images

Dwight Howard has tried. Unlike LeBron James and Carmelo Anthony, who seemed to revel in the attention of trade or free agency rumors (at least at first), Howard has tried to shut it down. He can be a free agent in the summer of 2012 but has refused to discuss it.

Monday night, while the rest of us were watching some fantastically entertaining playoff basketball, Howard tried again to quiet the storm by calling out his hometown Orlando Sentinel in a tweet.

“Y does it seem like the writers of Orlando sentinel are tryna push me out of Orlando with dumb articles. It’s annoying. Can I enjoy my summer and get ready for next season in Orlando. Pls. Same thing u guys did to Shaq. Smh”

He later tried to say he’s not really blaming the media.

“I’m not blaming the media. I’m saying stop with the dumb articles. They don’t make be decision of mine. I jus don’t want Orlando fans to believe them. Cuz they don’t know. I love my city”

First things first — no player has ever changed teams because of a newspaper. They’ve never stayed because of one either. Nor will Howard. Shaq left Orlando because of money and a perceived better chance to win. Howard’s decision will be based on those same two things. What the Orlando Sentinel decides to do matters not.

What has the Sentinel done? They created a pretty clever Web site application where you can dress Howard up in a Lakers uniform. Or Knicks. Or Heat. Or Harlem Globetrotters. Of the Flint Tropics of “Semi-Pro.”

They also have a range of articles including one about the Lakers potential pursuit of Howard, a video of Howard saying he’s not talking about it, one saying Howard needs to tell the team what he’s going to do, and a host of other pretty standard fare. Some of the locals don’t like it, judging from the comments. Sounds like a lot of people want the hometown paper to lead the campaign to keep him. Refer back to the paragraph two above this.

Howard simply is not going to be able to turn down the volume. No matter what he says or does. He might as well try to stop the tide, he’ll have the same success. His Magic bombed out of the playoffs in the first round after making big moves to try and improve the team mid-season that ties its hands going forward. The Lakers bombed out of the playoffs and they have a penchant for stealing Orlando big men. New Jersey is desperate for a second star. The New York media will speculate about anything (and the Knicks owner makes anything seem possible).

This is only going to get worse, Dwight. And all you can do is shoot it down and not discuss it.

Well, that or make a decision.

1. thekingdave - May 10, 2011 at 9:51 AM

Loss of cool points for Dwight using the smh acronym as a male.

• denverhoopdreams - May 10, 2011 at 11:18 AM

Seriously????? SMH..

2. savocabol1 - May 10, 2011 at 10:22 AM

Typical media people defending the media. Howard is stating that you guys (media) attempt to create stories by saying “sources tell you this/that” which leads to rumors being spread that guys like Howard want out of Orlando. It is all just to drive readers and create a buzz, when in fact most of the time it is all bull.

Props to Howard for trying to diffuse it right now, but we alllllll know next year is going to be everyday talk about when Howard will leave everytime the Magic lose a game.

• liltmac2003 - May 10, 2011 at 2:59 PM

I agree. I think the media is doing this on purpose. Let me tell you why.

They are making Dwight Howard say all these things about loving Orlando, that it’s his city, that he loves Orlando, etc.

If he leaves, the words he’s saying right now are going to be golden. The same thing happened with LeBron. All those interviews of him saying he’s never going to leave, he is going to bring a ‘ship to Cleavland, etc.

3. danvoges - May 10, 2011 at 10:38 AM

a lot of males use “smh” including jared sullinger. its faster to type and takes up less space. its gender neutral.

4. thekingdave - May 10, 2011 at 10:49 AM

Faster type? So people used to write out “laughing out loud” and “shaking my head” randomly out of nowhere? Smh = feminine.

• denverhoopdreams - May 10, 2011 at 11:19 AM

You’re a 50 year old in a basement apartment aren’t you?

5. purdueman - May 10, 2011 at 10:55 AM

Take a good look at the picture of Howard next to the blog; he doesn’t exactly look like the sharpest tool in the shed, does he?!!!!l

6. hnirobert3 - May 10, 2011 at 11:36 AM

For the record, I’m anti-smh.

7. danvoges - May 10, 2011 at 1:15 PM

and it gets his feelings across while only using 3 characters. smh = efficient use of twitter.

8. philtration - May 10, 2011 at 1:36 PM

I had to look up what “smh” means.
    Sorry but I do not tweet and I do not communicate in some stupid 12 year-old girl shorthand code.

Neither should any other grown man.

• purdueman - May 10, 2011 at 1:43 PM

Amen, Phil! I agree with you 100%. Twitter is the child of the current ADD/ADHD generation of teenagers. Why anyone would want such technology to dominate their daily lives is a mystery to me.

• purdueman - May 10, 2011 at 1:44 PM

Phil… the whole Twitter thing has gotten so out of control that I’m sure that as I type thousands of teenagers are Tweeting: “IJFTD” (I just farted). Ugh!

9. savocabol1 - May 10, 2011 at 1:54 PM

If you are a male and you use either smh or lol you deserve your man card revoked. I dont care if it is easier to type, shorthand words such as those only belong to the female gender.

10. danvoges - May 10, 2011 at 3:35 PM

its efficient. instead of saying “i can’t believe this” or “i disagree with this,” smh sums it up in 3 characters.

it doesnt matter if proper grammar is used, the message gets across and that’s all that matters.

11. thekingdave - May 11, 2011 at 12:45 AM

Yes, a message that conveys you wish to cut tied with your manhood.

12. thekingdave - May 11, 2011 at 12:46 AM

Ties*, f*ing iPhone

13. danvoges - May 11, 2011 at 2:17 AM

well i guess the only way to settle this is for you to scientifically prove that using “smh” results in loss of cool points and manhood.

good luck.

14. thekingdave - May 11, 2011 at 10:41 AM

The comments here justify it. I’m amazed your friends have never ripped on you for channeling your inner 12 year old girl.

15. danvoges - May 11, 2011 at 12:36 PM

we see jared sullinger and dwight howard using it. they are large male athletes, not 12 year old girls.

further, we dont talk to 12 year old girls.

Warriors vs. Clippers playoff preview