May 9, 2011, 11:45 AM EST
The bad news: As expected, the swelling and pain got worse on Sunday, Doc Rivers said. There was a lot of ice and a lot of pain medication, as reported by the New York Times.
Rondo is officially a game time decision, but if you think he is going to sit out then I am a Nigerian Prince with a can’t miss financial offer for you. He was on the court for shootaround Monday but did not speak to the media. Carlos Arroyo said he is ready to go, CSN New England’s A. Sherrod Blakely reported.
The bigger question is how effective he can be as a one-armed point guard? In Game 3 his return to the court in the fourth quarter was inspirational for the Celtics, but just having him out there in Game 4 will not be enough.
Defensively, the Heat may change strategy on Rondo. Before, they laid off him and basically dared him to shoot the jumper. But now, don’t be shocked if the Heat shade him heavily and try to force him to go left. Make him use is bad arm, go to his bad side.
Also, Miami may try to attack with whomever Rondo is guarding. Not with Mike Bibby off the dribble, but rather running him off screens from big men — dare Rondo to deal with contact rubbing off those screens. Be physical with Rondo. Not Andrew Bynum cheep-shot physical, but don’t shy away from the contact.
Boston needs to get more production out of the point guard position, and that means Delonte West (and his sore shoulder) need to step up. Rondo may get a couple of points in transition, he will get some assists, but he is not going to provide the production. West needs to off the bench. They also need Paul Pierce and Ray Allen to step up with big games.
Miami is going to play better than they did in Game 3. This will be the Celtics biggest test. And what they get out of Rondo will go a long way to them passing it.
- Report: George Karl controls Kings’ personnel, wants Ty Lawson, willing to move DeMarcus Cousins 11
- Paul George returns to practice with Pacers, could play in couple weeks 3
- Report: LeBron James wonders why he doesn’t get more MVP consideration 30
- Would Rajon Rondo leave the Mavericks for the Lakers? 48
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: The Spurs losing rodeo road trip a bad sign 11
- PBT Extra: What is future for Derrick Rose? Bulls? 13
- Mavericks suspend Rajon Rondo one game after argument with coach Rick Carlisle 42
- Derrick Rose is hurt again. Where do the Bulls go from here? 28