May 9, 2011, 5:41 PM EDT
As a writer, I’m not really supposed to have favorite players. But I can’t help but love Andrei Kirilenko. When he was a young player, he played the most exciting brand of defense in the league. His play on offense is unselfish, diverse, and explosive. There have been five “5 x 5″ games since 1995, and Kirilenko has 3 of them. His wife had the greatest quote on being the wife of a professional athlete ever. He told John Amaechi that Amaechi could bring his boyfriend to Kirilenko’s Christmas party if he wanted to. He may well have chosen his number so that he could have his nickname be “AK-47.”
And with a new giant tattoo that covers most of Kirilenko’s back and seems to feature a knight riding some sort of mythical winged beast, the legend of Kirilenko’s awesomeness continues to grow. It’s early, but this may well end up being the single most insane tattoo of the off-season. Shine on, Andre Kirilenko. Shine on.
- Report: Sale of Milwaukee Bucks for record $550 million agreed upon, team to stay in Milwaukee 32
- Playoff Chase: Seven meaningful games on final night of NBA season 14
- 2014 PBT Awards: Most Improved Player 19
- Tuesday NBA grades: Chris Paul looks playoff ready 1
- Carmelo Anthony has torn labrum, Knicks shut him down for season 14