Andrei Kirilenko gets insane, awesome tattoo

May 9, 2011, 5:41 PM EDT

Kirilenko Tattoo

As a writer, I’m not really supposed to have favorite players. But I can’t help but love Andrei Kirilenko. When he was a young player, he played the most exciting brand of defense in the league. His play on offense is unselfish, diverse, and explosive. There have been five “5 x 5″ games since 1995, and Kirilenko has 3 of them. His wife had the greatest quote on being the wife of a professional athlete ever. He told John Amaechi that Amaechi could bring his boyfriend to Kirilenko’s Christmas party if he wanted to. He may well have chosen his number so that he could have his nickname be “AK-47.”

And with a new giant tattoo that covers most of Kirilenko’s back and seems to feature a knight riding some sort of mythical winged beast, the legend of Kirilenko’s awesomeness continues to grow. It’s early, but this may well end up being the single most insane tattoo of the off-season. Shine on, Andre Kirilenko. Shine on.

1. tubal22 - May 9, 2011 at 9:39 PM

I know you’re being halfway sarcastic, but I’m pretty sure that’s his WoW character.

If you remember his crappy 2006/2007 seasons, it’s because he was up all night playing WoW.

Threw away 2 good years for the jazz on some stupid video game.

2. hoopsmccann - May 9, 2011 at 10:07 PM

Permanently defiling your body with ink is not a reason for praise and adulation you idiot. Wait until your daughter does this to her God-given beautiful body and you might feel differently about it and not be praising this disgusting fad that infatuates those with low self esteem. Or didn’t you know that?

• schoolboy834 - May 10, 2011 at 3:53 AM

Kirilenko is an adult, and can do whatever he wants to his body.I doubt he got it because he has low self esteem.

• savocabol1 - May 10, 2011 at 9:23 AM

Grow up dude. This tattoo is cool looking. Take your conservative garbage and post it on the fox news website.

3. helinhater - May 10, 2011 at 8:54 AM

Rather than taking people to task for making decisions – as adults, mind you – maybe you should harness your energy and focus it on the obese individuals who pad their fat asses with more and more food to inflate their low-self esteem…

That to me is a far bigger issue in terms of desecrating the beautiful body given to you by God, Allah, Jobu, or whatever deity you pray to.

In conclusion – you’re a loser for having such a big issue with tats. Maybe you prefer he do his physical damage internally with drugs & drink?

4. hoopsmccann - May 10, 2011 at 4:14 PM

Helinhater –

I totally agree with you about the obesity issue being a worse desecration as well as drugs and drink also being worse. I know that for MOST people plastering permanent tatoos all over your body IS a result of low self esteem as well as peer pressure. Those are two really bad reasons to permanently deface your body. And I’m not talking about one or 2 small ones.

Being an older guy I also know that the majority of people who do get them when they are young as they (particularly women) get older and more mature wish they hadn’t gotten them and they are stuck with them. Of my 5 children only one very pretty daughter got numerous tatoos in her teens and now that she’s 29 won’t even go to the beach or pools and is very depressed because of them. I suppose that’s why it is more of an issue with me than other people.

And I never commented that as an adult ‘Linko or anyone else doesn’t have the right to do whatever they want with their bodies. I was calling out the writer for heaping praise and adulation on this fad that has no positive effect on peoples’ lives and does have some negative effects, thereby possibly persuading more young immature people to do it who will regret it later on in life. Look at how many young people tattoo lovers names on their bodies, and then regret it when it becomes their ex-lover.

And Schoolboy, if you don’t think he did it to raise his self esteem – then why DID he do it????

I’m just trying to make a comment that will get people to think and maybe save a few young people from regretting an impulsive and immature decision if they end up feeling that way.

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches