May 7, 2011, 5:25 PM EDT
Welcome to the world of people competing for the ear of Ricky Rubio.
Minnesota Timberwolves officials will be over in Spain next week trying the time share style hard sell on the 20-year-old point guard, telling him now is the time to come to America. Rubio’s American agent echoes those thoughts.
His Spanish agent feels differently. Shocking, I know. The Spanish agent was interviewed in the Spanish publication Mundo Deportivo and said this (according to a Hoopshype translation).
“The club and the American agent keep telling Ricky Rubio that this is the right time (to go to the NBA) but he still has his doubts about it,” said Rubio’s agent in Spain, German Gonzalez
We can guess where Gonzalez falls on what is best for Rubio.
We still think Rubio would be wise to be hesitant. Simply for financial reasons. That and the whole next season in jeopardy because of a lockout thing.
If Rubio came over now, under the current CBA he would take more than a 50 percent pay cut to leave Barcelona, and he would be locked into that rookie deal for at least three and more likely five years. The new CBA may shrink the rookie scale a little, but the owners are more focused on free agent spending and cutbacks than the already flavorful rookie scale.
If Rubio waits a third year after his draft (one more season), he is no longer subject to the NBA rookie scale. This is what Tiago Splitter did to the Spurs — he waited it out then came over on his own financial terms.
Combine the lockout and the money, and the Spanish agent makes some sense.
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 3
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 5
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 27
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 4