May 7, 2011, 5:25 PM EDT
Welcome to the world of people competing for the ear of Ricky Rubio.
Minnesota Timberwolves officials will be over in Spain next week trying the time share style hard sell on the 20-year-old point guard, telling him now is the time to come to America. Rubio’s American agent echoes those thoughts.
His Spanish agent feels differently. Shocking, I know. The Spanish agent was interviewed in the Spanish publication Mundo Deportivo and said this (according to a Hoopshype translation).
“The club and the American agent keep telling Ricky Rubio that this is the right time (to go to the NBA) but he still has his doubts about it,” said Rubio’s agent in Spain, German Gonzalez
We can guess where Gonzalez falls on what is best for Rubio.
We still think Rubio would be wise to be hesitant. Simply for financial reasons. That and the whole next season in jeopardy because of a lockout thing.
If Rubio came over now, under the current CBA he would take more than a 50 percent pay cut to leave Barcelona, and he would be locked into that rookie deal for at least three and more likely five years. The new CBA may shrink the rookie scale a little, but the owners are more focused on free agent spending and cutbacks than the already flavorful rookie scale.
If Rubio waits a third year after his draft (one more season), he is no longer subject to the NBA rookie scale. This is what Tiago Splitter did to the Spurs — he waited it out then came over on his own financial terms.
Combine the lockout and the money, and the Spanish agent makes some sense.
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 20
- Kevin Durant reiterates that rest was his reason for withdrawing from Team USA 8
- Kobe Bryant says he will not be same player as before, says he’s evolved into something equally good 18
- Report: Agent for Greg Monroe pursued sign-and-trade deals with five teams, including Thunder and Blazers 25
- Derrick Rose sits out another Team USA practice, not likely to start Wednesday 21
- DeMarcus Cousins practices with team USA Tuesday, says he’s 50-50 for Wednesday game 2
- Jim Boeheim says of Carmelo Anthony, “it would have been better to go to Chicago” 31
- Steve Ballmer screams like a maniac at Clippers rally 26