May 7, 2011, 2:44 PM EDT
Shaquille O’Neal will be back in Game 3 for Boston.
Probably for about 10 minutes, 15 tops. There are questions about how effective he can be as he has not really played since January. And the Heat have said when he is on the floor they are going to try to run on everything because they don’t think he can keep up.
In a best-case scenario for Boston, for around a quarter of the game Shaq’s offense can make the Heat pay for their small lineup with Joel Anthony at center.
That is not enough.
Boston is going to need to get a great game out of Rajon Rondo, which in part means they need to get more out of the pick-and-roll. Miami has backed off that play, given Rondo room and he has not made them pay with either a jumper or a drive that leads to an assist. It has to. Also, the Paul Pierce with Garnett pick-and-roll has led to nothing either (except Heat defensive traps and some poor ball movement by Boston). That has to change.
And that aggressive (except on Rondo) pick and roll defense has been key for the Heat, if they can keep it up they can win in Boston. But will the Celtics feel more comfortable and will the shots fall for them in the Garden?
Boston is going to need a complete game from all their key players — they are not the more athletic team in this series and so far their veteran savvy has not made up for it. Starting today it will or Boston will join the Lakers on playoffs death row.
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (121)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (88)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (75)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Seattle group releases statement; forced to wait, hope for expansion (64)
- Live Extra: Watch Sharks-Kings, Game 4
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- PHT: Bruins rally in third, put Rangers in 3-0 hole
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- GTC: Garcia offers Tiger 'fried chicken' for dinner
- Andy Murray out of French Open due to back injury
- PFT: Woodson returns to Raiders for up to $4.3M
- Play Video: Metta World Peace the weatherman
- Play Video: Eastern Conference finals preview
- Play Video: Heat gearing for another physical battle
- Play Video: Phil Jackson compares MJ and Kobe
- Play Video: Grizzlies ready for 'running' Spurs
- Play Video: Durant won't 'compromise himself' like other stars