May 7, 2011, 2:44 PM EDT
Shaquille O’Neal will be back in Game 3 for Boston.
Probably for about 10 minutes, 15 tops. There are questions about how effective he can be as he has not really played since January. And the Heat have said when he is on the floor they are going to try to run on everything because they don’t think he can keep up.
In a best-case scenario for Boston, for around a quarter of the game Shaq’s offense can make the Heat pay for their small lineup with Joel Anthony at center.
That is not enough.
Boston is going to need to get a great game out of Rajon Rondo, which in part means they need to get more out of the pick-and-roll. Miami has backed off that play, given Rondo room and he has not made them pay with either a jumper or a drive that leads to an assist. It has to. Also, the Paul Pierce with Garnett pick-and-roll has led to nothing either (except Heat defensive traps and some poor ball movement by Boston). That has to change.
And that aggressive (except on Rondo) pick and roll defense has been key for the Heat, if they can keep it up they can win in Boston. But will the Celtics feel more comfortable and will the shots fall for them in the Garden?
Boston is going to need a complete game from all their key players — they are not the more athletic team in this series and so far their veteran savvy has not made up for it. Starting today it will or Boston will join the Lakers on playoffs death row.
- Breaking down Western Conference playoff chase with two weeks left in season 3
- Breaking down Eastern Conference playoff chase with two weeks left in season 4
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: Dwyane Wade is going to will Heat into playoffs 10
- Sad news: Craig Sager announces his cancer has returned 15
- NBA players’ union head believes new labor deal can be reached without a work stoppage 9
- Kendrick Perkins says you’re blowing the LeBron James/Kevin Love thing way out of proportion 22
- Mark Cuban rips officials, NBA: ‘It’s criminal’ how Monta Ellis doesn’t get calls 25
- Shaquille O’Neal says he regrets leaving Magic for Lakers 43