May 7, 2011, 10:33 AM EDT
Here’s a sign of progress for the Clippers: They want to make trades so they can win now. They want to be in the playoffs next year.
They like their core — Blake Griffin gives them a star, then they have Mo Williams at the point, Erik Gordon at the two, and the combo of DeAndre Jordan and Chris Kaman at center. GM Neil Olshey told Eric Pincus at Hoopsworld that the goal is to build around Griffin.
“This is not unlike the drill in San Antonio when they had Tim Duncan or Cleveland with LeBron or guys like that,” said Olshey. “You have to put right pieces around him but you don’t have to find ‘the piece’ because it’s here.”
That we’re talking about building a serious playoff team for the Cliipers is a start.
But now it’s time for the next step.
“We need an impact veteran,” said Neil. “A guy with leadership skills that has won at a high level that can show Eric and Blake how not just to get in the playoffs but how to be a factor in the playoffs.”
What they really need is an impact guy at the three, their gaping hole. Olshey sounded like a guy looking to deal around the draft, to make a move now not in the frenzy that will follow the lockout.
“We’ve got $5.3 million in cap room right now to do an uneven deal,” said Olshey. “We’ve got the Minnesota pick unprotected in 2012. We’ve got two second-round picks. We’ve got our first-protected to 10 next year. So we’ve got a lot of deal-making assets.”
Look for the Clippers to be active around the draft (they do not have a first-round pick this year, they moved it to Cleveland in the Baron Davis deal). For the first time in a long time there is legitimate hope for the Clippers, and they want to turn that hope into reality sooner rather than later.
- NBA players’ union head believes new labor deal can be reached without a work stoppage 4
- Kendrick Perkins says you’re blowing the LeBron James/Kevin Love thing way out of proportion 15
- Mark Cuban rips officials, NBA: ‘It’s criminal’ how Monta Ellis doesn’t get calls 23
- Shaquille O’Neal says he regrets leaving Magic for Lakers 43
- Cavaliers coach David Blatt: ‘LeBron James is our MVP’ 22
- No Durant, what does that mean for Thunder in these playoffs? Trouble. 15
- Kevin Durant to have third foot surgery; is done for season, playoffs 39
- Goran Dragic leading feisty Heat’s playoff push 29