May 6, 2011, 11:05 AM EDT
If the Indiana Pacers don’t bring back interim Frank Vogel as coach, they are making a mistake.
But before they can be bothered with Vogel, team president Larry Bird needs to sit down with owner Herb Simon and figure out who is running the team next season. And figure out the direction they want to go. That hasn’t happened yet.
So Vogel interviewed with the Houston Rockets about their vacancy, the Indianapolis Star reports.
The fact Vogel had an interview with the Rockets just means he’s a coach with a pulse, as the Rockets have spoken to seemingly everyone who meets that criteria. They probably even called to check on the availability of Red Holzman, just in case.
But this is a note to the Pacers that they may want to lock up Vogel, who was 20-18 as an interim coach, opened up the offense, led the Pacers to the playoffs and had a team that pushed the Bulls in the first round.
- Ray Allen: “I won’t officially retire” 0
- Report: Adidas makes $200 million offer to James Harden 10
- Jahlil Okafor: “Rookie of the Year is one of the goals I set for myself” 14
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 9
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 4
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9