May 6, 2011, 11:05 AM EDT
If the Indiana Pacers don’t bring back interim Frank Vogel as coach, they are making a mistake.
But before they can be bothered with Vogel, team president Larry Bird needs to sit down with owner Herb Simon and figure out who is running the team next season. And figure out the direction they want to go. That hasn’t happened yet.
So Vogel interviewed with the Houston Rockets about their vacancy, the Indianapolis Star reports.
The fact Vogel had an interview with the Rockets just means he’s a coach with a pulse, as the Rockets have spoken to seemingly everyone who meets that criteria. They probably even called to check on the availability of Red Holzman, just in case.
But this is a note to the Pacers that they may want to lock up Vogel, who was 20-18 as an interim coach, opened up the offense, led the Pacers to the playoffs and had a team that pushed the Bulls in the first round.
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 0
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 10
- Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58 12
- After Rio Olympics next summer, who takes over at Team USA coach? 6
- Kobe, Shaq discuss regrets over feud that ended their Lakers era 47
- NBA fines Clippers for attempting to circumvent salary cap with DeAndre Jordan 10
- The most overlooked – and maybe most significant – reason Carmelo Anthony won’t waive his no-trade clause this season 17
- Phil Jackson is optimistic about Knicks coming season, except the start 7