May 6, 2011, 11:05 AM EDT
If the Indiana Pacers don’t bring back interim Frank Vogel as coach, they are making a mistake.
But before they can be bothered with Vogel, team president Larry Bird needs to sit down with owner Herb Simon and figure out who is running the team next season. And figure out the direction they want to go. That hasn’t happened yet.
So Vogel interviewed with the Houston Rockets about their vacancy, the Indianapolis Star reports.
The fact Vogel had an interview with the Rockets just means he’s a coach with a pulse, as the Rockets have spoken to seemingly everyone who meets that criteria. They probably even called to check on the availability of Red Holzman, just in case.
But this is a note to the Pacers that they may want to lock up Vogel, who was 20-18 as an interim coach, opened up the offense, led the Pacers to the playoffs and had a team that pushed the Bulls in the first round.
- Report: Cavaliers, Clippers discussing Jamal Crawford for Brendan Haywood trade 0
- Reports: David West agrees to veteran minimum deal to play for Spurs 28
- Report: Marc Gasol, Grizzlies reach deal on five-year, $110 million contract 7
- Manu Ginobili tweets he’ll play next season 6
- Who is left: 15 best free agents still on the board 12
- Report: Detroit Pistons sign restricted free agent Reggie Jackson for five-years, $80 million 38
- Report: Lakers near deal to sign Brandon Bass, may trade Nick Young 36
- Spurs reset franchise for post Tim Duncan life in one impressive week 19