May 6, 2011, 11:05 AM EST
If the Indiana Pacers don’t bring back interim Frank Vogel as coach, they are making a mistake.
But before they can be bothered with Vogel, team president Larry Bird needs to sit down with owner Herb Simon and figure out who is running the team next season. And figure out the direction they want to go. That hasn’t happened yet.
So Vogel interviewed with the Houston Rockets about their vacancy, the Indianapolis Star reports.
The fact Vogel had an interview with the Rockets just means he’s a coach with a pulse, as the Rockets have spoken to seemingly everyone who meets that criteria. They probably even called to check on the availability of Red Holzman, just in case.
But this is a note to the Pacers that they may want to lock up Vogel, who was 20-18 as an interim coach, opened up the offense, led the Pacers to the playoffs and had a team that pushed the Bulls in the first round.
- Rumor: Ray Allen leaning toward retirement, not return 3
- Josh Smith makes Rockets debut, throws down two-handed dunk (VIDEO) 10
- Carmelo Anthony on the Knicks: “The fans are dying, we’re dying” 18
- Rockets officially sign Josh Smith, who will play Friday night; waive Tarik Black 6
- Clippers win ‘nice, boring’ Christmas Day battle with Warriors 1
- Miami fans give LeBron warm welcome, Heat team not so much in upset win 24
- Russell Westbrook inspires Thunder to skid-stopping win over Spurs 8
- LeBron James, Stephen Curry leading in early All-Star voting returns 30