May 6, 2011, 10:07 AM EDT
In the first half and the start of the third quarter, Atlanta’s Josh Smith was firing away jump shots — and he was 0-for-6 from beyond 16 feet. He made up for that with four turnovers.
All that frustrated coach Larry Drew, who saw that as playing into the hands of the Bulls defense, he told the Atlanta Journal Constitution.
“I want him flying all over the place,” Drew said. “I don’t want him sitting out there just shooting jump shots and trying to make plays off the dribble.”
Drew is right. Completely. We have just one little question:
Now you’re mad about this? Where was this anger during the season?
This season Smith averaged 6.3 shots a game beyond 16 feet and 5.9 at the rim (via Hoopdata). For the record, Smith shot 68.9 percent at the rim, 39 percent from 16 feet out to the arc and 33.1 percent from three.
Smith has killed the Hawks offense with jump shots all season — he has defied Drew’s motion offense and shot more long balls per game than he has at any other point is his career.
And now Drew is mad? He needed to curb this behavior long ago.
- Chris Andersen complements Heat’s Big Three so well 0
- Pacers’ coach Vogel explains decision to bench Hibbert late, says ‘we’ll probably have him in next time’ 2
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers 6
- LeBron’s game-winning layup at the overtime buzzer gives Heat Game 1 win over Pacers (VIDEO) 13
- Report: Carmelo Anthony has torn labrum, may need surgery 4
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (89)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (75)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games