Chris Bosh admits it’s The Big Two and Bosh in Miami

May 6, 2011, 5:38 PM EST

Philadelphia 76ers v Miami Heat - Game Five Getty Images

When the Miami Heat do post-game player interviews, first Chris Bosh comes in and talks from the table. Then later (often quite a bit later) LeBron James and Dwyane Wade come in and speak together.

It’s felt like that on the court too this season — that the Big Three is really a Big Two +One.

Bosh told the Sun Sentinel that’s pretty much the case.

From post-game behavior to pre-game reading material, Bosh always has been different from the Heat’s other superstars. Being the third wheel? No problem. Less media attention? More time to read. Sometimes referred to as the weak link? It makes him stronger.

James and Wade are the mainland. Bosh is perfectly fine being Hawaii or Alaska, off to the side.

“For me, I’m not afraid to dance to the beat of my own drum,” Bosh said. “There are things I like to do on my own. When it’s time to come together as a unit, we come together as a unit….

“With me, I’ve always just been different,” Bosh said. “I’ve never tried to fit in. I’m one of the fellas, great. I get along with everybody, great. But if I’m going to read my book, I’m going to read my book and this is what I’m doing.”

This is not a big deal, they do not need to be “the super friends” so long as it doesn’t bleed onto the court. And it hasn’t. Great teammates do not need to get along (do I really need to point out Kobe and Shaq?).

And up 2-0 on Boston, right now it’s all good. So you can call Bosh whatever you like. He’s focused on his book.

1. nicosamuelson2 - May 6, 2011 at 6:29 PM

Nerd alert!

2. goforthanddie - May 6, 2011 at 6:58 PM

Translation: I know who my meal tickets are, plus everyone knows I’m not The Man regardless where I am.

• denverhoopdreams - May 6, 2011 at 6:59 PM

distasteful.

• kinggw - May 6, 2011 at 9:58 PM

Somebody sounds like a bitter C’s fan.

3. scorp16 - May 6, 2011 at 7:20 PM

Sensationlist title to this article. You obviously left out a lot of the context of the article and just emphasized on what you felt could support your title.

Shoddy journalism. You should go back and read the article in the Sun Sentinel.

Where in the artcle does it reference that it been that way on the court too?

It doesn’t. What it does say is:

“The Heat have stressed the importance of Bosh’s 18.7 points and 8.3 rebounds a game, both statistics he has improved in the postseason.

“Chris is our most important player,” James echoed on several occasions.”

4. txnative61 - May 7, 2011 at 3:21 AM

Nice to see a modicum of humility and independence. The attention can wait until he’s actually wearing a ring.

5. flash316 - May 7, 2011 at 10:34 AM

Good for Bosh, life isnt always about trying to be one of the cool kids! Read your book and enjoy son!

6. fouldwimmerlaik - May 9, 2011 at 3:42 PM

It is more like “The Big Two and then One-Half of a player.”

Did Bosh go back in the locker room and cry after this? At least until Lebron and Wade brought him some ice cream and told him it would all be okay?

Who will land Josh Smith?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches