May 5, 2011, 1:36 PM EDT
If at one time a statement can be no-brainer true and completely moot, this next sentence is it:
Knicks owner James Dolan has promised team president Donnie Walsh he will not rehire Isiah Thomas to work for the Knicks, according to the New York Post. The report says that Dolan has become disillusioned with Thomas and wants to rebut the idea Thomas still has influence within the organization.
It’s disturbing that it might have taken Dolan this long to become disillusioned with Thomas, but that’s another issue entirely.
The real question is if he is really disillusioned, or whether he is still talking and consulting with Thomas. Dolan says no, but so many voices around the Knicks still say Thomas has influence. It was that influence that prompted Dolan to jump in and spearhead the Carmelo Anthony deal for Walsh.
I’d explain why that is a bad idea, but the brilliant Kelly Dwyer hit that nail on the head at Ball Don’t Lie:
Also remember that “spearheading the Anthony deal” isn’t the best thing. The Knicks were going to get Anthony as a free agent whenever the lockout ended, and they didn’t need to send numerous assets and draft picks Denver’s way for the privilege of signing Anthony to a contract extension that will be out-moded and cap-killing once the new Collective Bargaining Agreement is hammered out. In a move that reeked of Isiah’s trade for Stephon Marbury, the Knicks got the guy but lost the team, and it’s hard to see this group improving any from here on out.
Yes, the Knicks will have only four players under contract in the summer of 2012, but those four players (thanks to Anthony’s massive, old school extension) might make up the entirety of the 2012-13 salary cap with their contracts.
So saying you will not hire Thomas is an obvious and simple move. And moot if you are still listening to him.
- UPDATED Report: Timberwolves make push for Eric Bledsoe, Suns not interested in sign-and-trade talks 19
- LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12 11
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Toronto Raptors 8
- Dwyane Wade credits David Stern’s dress code for improving his style 15
- Kevin Durant has grown close with Karl Malone 15
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Philadelphia 76ers 5
- Steve Kerr said Danny Ferry made mistake but is a “man of high character” 33
- LeBron James on Kyrie Irving: “I believe Kyrie can be the best point guard in the league.” 25