May 5, 2011, 8:30 PM EST
So it turns out, the Maloof brothers trying to move the Kings out of Sacramento did not sit well with the locals. Who could have seen that coming?
David Stern responded by sending the A-Team. No, not that A-Team (although some B.A. Baracus could go a long way to helping the situation). This was some of the best from NBA Headquarters who are working in all aspects of the Kings office working to rebuild bridges in the community.
That started Thursday with co-owner Gavin Maloof having lunch at an event with Sacramento Mayor Kevin Johnson, the Sacramento Bee reports.
The private luncheon with Kings corporate sponsors is the precursor to a wider public relations campaign for the team that’s likely to start next week, said Christopher Granger, an NBA executive vice president who’s leading a nine-person league delegation sent to Sacramento earlier this week.
“You will see a wide campaign, a very wide campaign,” Granger said in an interview at Power Balance Pavilion. “We’re working on it right now.”
The Maloof brothers have been on local television in Sacramento and throwing their weight behind the new arena effort. They are, in the least, putting their best face on it.
But if you were a Kings fan, how much could you really trust them? It’s going to take more than a sponsors luncheon to make this work. It’s going to take some kind of sacrifice and sign of real commitment.
Or, they could just get the A-Team.
- The Extra Pass: The league’s leading lineups; plus Tuesday’s recaps 0
- Tuesday night NBA Grades: Kobe plays pretty well, Suns’ backcourt plays better 1
- Pacers win first Conference Finals rematch vs. Heat 24
- Days before he faced LeBron, Paul George said Durant is NBA’s toughest cover 26
- A day later, Kobe didn’t think he played quite so bad 12
- Why question “When did basketball get so bad?” misses mark (56)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (54)
- Durant tells “60 Minutes Sports” he’s still tired of being No. 2 (35)
- Report: Heat shopping Joel Anthony, seeking depth behind Wade (35)
- Fan wanders onto court while game is going on during Cavaliers-Clippers (VIDEO) (34)