May 5, 2011, 4:08 PM EDT
The reason was Artest smacked J.J. Barea across the face with his forearm near the end of the Lakers Game 2 loss. It was deserved. Watch the video at this link if you haven’t seen it, but this is fitting.
It also leaves the Lakers in a bind — it means more play for the Lakers bench, and so far this series the Lakers bench has stunk up the joint. In Game 2 the Lakers bench provided 12 points on 6-of-23 shooting, as many turnovers as assists plus some bad defense. To be fair, in Game 1 Lamar Odom came off the bench and was solid, but Barnes, Steve Blake and Shannon Brown were not.
Look for Barnes to get the start, but that means Dallas can shift the longer Shawn Marion on to Kobe Bryant, leaving Jason Kidd on Barnes. It’s all not good for a Lakers team with some real issues this series down 2-0 (having lost both games at home).
- Report: Chicago Bulls give Jimmy Butler max qualifying offer 16
- Report: Dwyane Wade will not opt-in with Heat, to become free agent (as expected) 25
- Report: Knicks front runner to land Arron Afflalo (and Greg Monroe, too) 26
- Report: Luol Deng surprises Miami, opts in for 2015-16 season 29
- Report: Sense around league is Kevin Love will re-sign with Cavaliers 31
- Report: As deadline nears, signs still point to Dwyane Wade opting out, becoming free agent 40
- Report: Dallas most likely team to lure DeAndre Jordan from Clippers, Chandler Parsons already recruiting 24
- Report: Lakers would still trade D’Angelo Russell for DeMarcus Cousins straight up. Kings wouldn’t. 30