May 5, 2011, 5:57 PM EDT
Before Wednesday night’s Game 2 Lakers loss, Phil Jackson thought his team was a little too up tight, a little too tense, taking it all a little too seriously. He was looking for some comic relief.
After the game, down 2-0, Andrew Bynum was talking seriously about the Lakers having trust issues. Nobody was laughing.
But they were Thursday.
Phil Jackson was “jovial” after practice, according to Lakers.com reporter Mike Trudel on twitter. He was cracking jokes. Other reporters at practice described the team being in relatively lighthearted spirits.
Lakers discussed Bynum-cited trust issues. Phil said Bynum must help 6th time even if his guy is given 5 dunks. “That’s the trust issue.”
Confident Kobe summing up practice today: “Learned a lot, saw a lot, ready to make adjustments.”
Maybe it seems odd to have the Lakers lighthearted while their fans are scouting out good ledges to jump off of after Game 3, but that’s just kind of who they are — they are supremely confident. Or arrogant. Take your pick. But they believe.
And taking things seriously has lost them two games at home. Maybe some jokes and a “we have nothing to lose” attitude is needed. It can’t do worse.
Dallas smells blood in the water and wants to finish this. They are confident in themselves and their game plan. But the Lakers are not going to roll over. Game 3 of this series could be one of the epic ones of the playoffs.
- 67RIEFNS No. 1: Tom Thibodeau managing his bigs 2
- Derrick Rose knows injury questions will keep coming. And coming. And coming. 5
- FIBA World Cup preview: USA, Spain, then who else can medal? 0
- Official ‘Clippers’ Number 1 Fan’ on herself and Donald Sterling: ‘I’ll always feel it’s our team’ 16
- Cavaliers GM admits concerns about rim protection on defense 16
- Coach K had DeMarcus Cousins as USA’s backup big long before final cuts 6
- World Cup preview: No Durant, no problem USA still one of two teams with legit shot to win gold 6
- Cavaliers sold Kyrie Irving on contract extension with LeBron James-Kevin Love plan 34