May 5, 2011, 5:57 PM EDT
Before Wednesday night’s Game 2 Lakers loss, Phil Jackson thought his team was a little too up tight, a little too tense, taking it all a little too seriously. He was looking for some comic relief.
After the game, down 2-0, Andrew Bynum was talking seriously about the Lakers having trust issues. Nobody was laughing.
But they were Thursday.
Phil Jackson was “jovial” after practice, according to Lakers.com reporter Mike Trudel on twitter. He was cracking jokes. Other reporters at practice described the team being in relatively lighthearted spirits.
Lakers discussed Bynum-cited trust issues. Phil said Bynum must help 6th time even if his guy is given 5 dunks. “That’s the trust issue.”
Confident Kobe summing up practice today: “Learned a lot, saw a lot, ready to make adjustments.”
Maybe it seems odd to have the Lakers lighthearted while their fans are scouting out good ledges to jump off of after Game 3, but that’s just kind of who they are — they are supremely confident. Or arrogant. Take your pick. But they believe.
And taking things seriously has lost them two games at home. Maybe some jokes and a “we have nothing to lose” attitude is needed. It can’t do worse.
Dallas smells blood in the water and wants to finish this. They are confident in themselves and their game plan. But the Lakers are not going to roll over. Game 3 of this series could be one of the epic ones of the playoffs.
- Kevin Love leaving Team USA not helpful, certainly not devastating either 9
- Kevin Love pulling out of USA Basketball due to lingering likelihood of trade from Timberwolves 14
- Why are the Lakers hiring Byron Scott as head coach? 18
- Report: NBA considering week-long break for All-Star Game next year 6
- Report: Knicks made (ridiculous) offer to trade for Kevin Love 48
- Report: Lakers finally offer coaching position to Byron Scott, deal expected soon 26
- Report: Cavaliers leading Kevin Love-trade sweepstakes 41
- Chris Paul on boycott if Sterling is still owner: “That’s something me and Doc are both talking about” 32