“Jovial” Lakers say trust issues = defensive rotations

May 5, 2011, 5:57 PM EDT

Dallas Mavericks v Los Angeles Lakers - Game Two Getty Images

Before Wednesday night’s Game 2 Lakers loss, Phil Jackson thought his team was a little too up tight, a little too tense, taking it all a little too seriously. He was looking for some comic relief.

After the game, down 2-0, Andrew Bynum was talking seriously about the Lakers having trust issues. Nobody was laughing.

But they were Thursday.

Phil Jackson was “jovial” after practice, according to Lakers.com reporter Mike Trudel on twitter. He was cracking jokes. Other reporters at practice described the team being in relatively lighthearted spirits.

As for the trust issues, Kevin Ding of the Orange County Register summed it up this way on twitter.

Lakers discussed Bynum-cited trust issues. Phil said Bynum must help 6th time even if his guy is given 5 dunks. “That’s the trust issue.”

Confident Kobe summing up practice today: “Learned a lot, saw a lot, ready to make adjustments.”

Maybe it seems odd to have the Lakers lighthearted while their fans are scouting out good ledges to jump off of after Game 3, but that’s just kind of who they are — they are supremely confident. Or arrogant. Take your pick. But they believe.

And taking things seriously has lost them two games at home. Maybe some jokes and a “we have nothing to lose” attitude is needed. It can’t do worse.

Dallas smells blood in the water and wants to finish this. They are confident in themselves and their game plan. But the Lakers are not going to roll over. Game 3 of this series could be one of the epic ones of the playoffs.

1. purdueman - May 5, 2011 at 6:22 PM

Hey hey, ho-ho, Kobe, Phil and the bickering Lakers need to go!

Hey hey, ho-ho, Kobe, Phil and the bickering Lakers need to go!!

The Lakers getting eliminated this early in the playoffs would be like a breathe of fresh air to a gagging church congregation fleeing a rank fart in church on a hot summers day!!!

• chargerdillon - May 5, 2011 at 7:47 PM

Stay classy Bulls fan

• wvan10 - May 5, 2011 at 8:19 PM

I don’t know how to comment to the “Hey hey, ho-ho” thing, but I as a Laker fan I hope that fart lingers a bit longer for ya. One think I do know (along with all other true basketball officianados) is that when the Lakers are right, the Mavs cannot beat them…..in one single game or a 7 game series. Lakers in 7.

• purdueman - May 5, 2011 at 9:02 PM

wvsan… when I was in college, there was an old saying during Finals week… “with papers and dope, you always have hope.” Either you have your medical marijana license in order to treat, oh I don’t know, your asthma, or you must have a really good connection! Care to share?

2. rapmusicmademedoit - May 5, 2011 at 6:38 PM

not so fast there Mr.Purdueman, you need 4 wins to get to the Western Conference Finals, I recall a few years ago they had 2 wins in the Finals and never got another win. I don’t recall Kobe choking like that.
    Don’t be fresh my friend and question the heart of a 5 time champion who has a goal of sending the Zen Master to Montana with another golden ball.I laugh at anyone who thinks different.

• oumoonunit - May 5, 2011 at 6:56 PM

He didn’t question Kobe’s heart; he just said that most of America is tired of seeing the Lakers. You can’t question the incredible hate for a team that has been so successful. Success breeds confidence and haters alike.

• purdueman - May 5, 2011 at 7:08 PM

The “heart of a champion” crapola is just so-oooo cliche! Can’t any of you do better than that? What drivel!

Yes, most of America indeed is suffering from “Laker Fatigue” and the media circus and dumbbell media and fan hero worshipers who follow them everywhere, but quickly (as happened last night at Staples Center in LA), kick them to the curb once they eventually fail.

No hate here though towards success; it’s all about HOW you carry yourself AFTER success. Payton Manning was humble; Tom Brady an ass. Tim Duncan humble; Phil Jackson and Kobe an ass. Simple as that.

• purdueman - May 5, 2011 at 7:02 PM

rapmusic… hope you’re enjoying celebrating your Mexican heritage today, but as for me? I celebrate my American heritage on July 4th every year too.

There’s an old saying pal: “He who laughs last, laughs best”, and I’ll be the last one to laugh once Dallas disposes of the Lakers and hauls them out to the Dempster Dumpster out back!

• rapmusicmademedoit - May 5, 2011 at 7:28 PM

My parents didn’t know I was Mexican and neither did I. ( I had a good last laugh)
        Ocho Cinco is not Mexican either.

Lakers in 7

• bj1980 - May 6, 2011 at 1:31 AM

You’ve got a short memory — the 2008 NBA Finals. Specifically games four and six.

3. SmackSaw - May 5, 2011 at 6:53 PM

Not having Artest is going to help. The Lakers need a cause.

• purdueman - May 5, 2011 at 9:04 PM

Smack Saw… I hear what you’re saying, but I thought that the Lakers already HAD a cause… you know, Michael Jackson’s, er ah, I mean Phil Jackson’s going away present?

4. budrow - May 6, 2011 at 5:52 AM

Dallas in 4. Dirk is unstoppable and somehow the Mavs keep getting better with age like fine wine. The Lakers are aging like milk. They stink! Heart of a champion is getting played out. Kobe is a bonafide beast, but he can’t do it on his own, on that ankle. if Kobe was healthy the series would look a lot different. Does anyone think that the Lakers can beat Miami (like I or not) after gutting out an 0-2 deficit against dallas, and then beat (presumably) Oklahoma and still have enough for the finals? We’ll see, that’s what makes these playoffs great. With all that being said, Phil Jackson can sit on it!

• purdueman - May 6, 2011 at 7:19 AM

I put in a buy order on Smith and Wesson stock last night because I think that the company is going to get a sudden boost in sales in the LA market once the Lakers are officially eliminated!

5. allball23 - May 6, 2011 at 9:44 AM

These mavericks are not the same team that collapsed dirk is focused and ready. Game 3 is the very important game this will be lakers best game.

6. omniusprime - May 6, 2011 at 9:48 AM

Even though Artest won’t be playing Friday that could turn out to be a good thing. The Mavs could have a letdown knowing the Lakers are shorthanded and the Lakers will rise to the task of winning one for Ron Ron. The Repeat World Champion Lakers just have to remember who they are and play like they did during their 17-1 run late in the season. The Lakers are superior to the Mavs and just have to play team ball to get a win tonight. Steve Blake won’t go 0-5 and the Killer Bees now have to prove they can play well on the road. Looks like they’ve set up the perfect Hollywood ending for the series as they will prove just how awesome they are defeating the Mavs.

7. texangirl - May 6, 2011 at 1:12 PM

Everyone wants the Lakers. Poll was taken and the Bulls fans, Heat fans and the Celtics fans all want to meet the Lakers in the Finals. No one else. Gotta admit the Finals will be boring without the Lakers representing the West.

• purdueman - May 6, 2011 at 1:26 PM

texsangirl… The reason why fans of other clubs all want to meet the Lakers in the Finals is because everyone wants there team to be the one to take down the defending champions; hard to find fault with that either.

I disagree with you though that an NBA Finals without the Lakers will be boring (notice I said WILL BE); I think the Lakers going out in the current playoff round would be like a breathe of crisp, fresh mountain air. There comes a time and a place for the torch to be passed, and the time and the place for the Jackson era chapter of Lakers history is now!

Warriors vs. Clippers playoff preview