May 4, 2011, 9:57 PM EDT
Kobe Bryant said after the Lakers dropped Game 1, they should be worried.
The Lakers are realizing that these Mavericks are not the old Mavericks. They are not soft inside (hello Tyson Chandler) and they are veterans. Before Game 2 Phil Jackson echoed Kobe’s thoughts.
“Ya, we’re worried now,” Jackson said. “This is a good team, they have the same record we have, they have a lot of options for scoring, we’ve got to play a lot better to overcome this team over the course of a series.
“Our strength is we’ve always become better and better progressively through a series and I hope we do that.”
When asked it that was just him trying to motivate his charges through the media, Jackson noted they were not going to see this game before tip off.
As for strategy, you can’t really expect much to leak pregame. Jackson tried to hide whether or not he’d give Ron Artest some time on Nowitzki, but he made one interesting tactical point.
“Probably it’s unlikely,” Jackson said of using Artest. “Ron has a penchant for sending guys to their left, which is Dirk’s strongest point.”
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: LeBron his shots despite good Celtics defense 0
- PBT Extra: For how long should J.R. Smith be suspended? 18
- Report: If Kevin Love leaves Cavaliers, Lakers are team to beat in free agency 26
- Rumor: Kevin Love out minimum of two weeks, will likely miss most or all of series vs. Bulls 39
- Monta Ellis, J.J. Barea pairing ignites Mavericks offense, gets Dallas Game 4 win over Houston 9
- Wizards blow out Raptors to complete first-round sweep 17
- Chris Paul scores 34 points, Clippers win Game 4 to even series with Spurs 6
- Cavaliers advance to second round – but but maybe lose Kevin Love and moral high ground in process 65