May 4, 2011, 9:55 AM EDT
The Knicks are talking defense this summer.
Which is a change of pace since they didn’t play any last season.
But while the talk of defense has in part focused on Mike D’Antoni and his coaching style (reports are he’s being pushed to hire an assistant as a defensive coordinator) that ignores the real problem — you have to have good defensive players. The Knicks don’t.
So team president Donnie Walsh wants to go out and get one, reports the New York Post.
With the chances slim of adding a quality center with the 17th pick in the draft and with an unkind salary cap situation in 2011, sources close to Knicks president Donnie Walsh say he has targeted Kings 6-foot-11 shotblocker Samuel Dalembert as the likeliest free-agent catch this summer.
All of this is dependent on what the new collective bargaining agreement allows the Knicks to do. With Chauncey Billups returning, the Knicks are already over the current salary cap for next season. They would need something like the mid-level exception to go get Dalembert (or just about anyone else) but there are rumors that the mid-level could be wiped out in the new CBA (a lot of owners don’t like it because they misuse it, and this CBA is about protecting the owners from themselves).
Just something to watch. Whenever the lockout ends and free agency begins. Which may well be a while.
- Cavaliers sold Kyrie Irving on contract extension with LeBron James-Kevin Love plan 30
- Kevin Love says Timberwolves owner should focus on his own team following trade to Cavaliers 31
- Iman Shumpert excited to play in triangle offense because he won’t just have to stand in the corner 6
- Timberwolves owner: Kevin Love might regret trade because he’ll be third banana with Cavaliers 48
- Anthony Davis and Kenneth Faried lead Team USA in final World Cup tune-up 20
- Thunder trade Hasheem Thabeet to 76ers 37
- From late-arriving to a LeBron James favorite, Kevin Love comes full circle 17
- Clippers trade Jared Dudley and first rounder to Bucks for Carlos Delfino and Miroslav Raduljica 23