May 4, 2011, 9:55 AM EDT
The Knicks are talking defense this summer.
Which is a change of pace since they didn’t play any last season.
But while the talk of defense has in part focused on Mike D’Antoni and his coaching style (reports are he’s being pushed to hire an assistant as a defensive coordinator) that ignores the real problem — you have to have good defensive players. The Knicks don’t.
So team president Donnie Walsh wants to go out and get one, reports the New York Post.
With the chances slim of adding a quality center with the 17th pick in the draft and with an unkind salary cap situation in 2011, sources close to Knicks president Donnie Walsh say he has targeted Kings 6-foot-11 shotblocker Samuel Dalembert as the likeliest free-agent catch this summer.
All of this is dependent on what the new collective bargaining agreement allows the Knicks to do. With Chauncey Billups returning, the Knicks are already over the current salary cap for next season. They would need something like the mid-level exception to go get Dalembert (or just about anyone else) but there are rumors that the mid-level could be wiped out in the new CBA (a lot of owners don’t like it because they misuse it, and this CBA is about protecting the owners from themselves).
Just something to watch. Whenever the lockout ends and free agency begins. Which may well be a while.
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell 0
- LeBron, Durant, Kobe headline All NBA First Team 14
- It’s official: Krzyzewski back to coach Team USA through Rio Olympics 1
- Hibbert said he will speak up in future, demand to be in game at end 11
- Chris Andersen complements Heat’s Big Three so well 26
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (89)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (76)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- HBT: Astros vendor fired after taking food into bathroom
- PHT: Avs name Hall of Famer Roy as head coach
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful