May 4, 2011, 11:07 PM EDT
Earlier today we passed along a Yahoo report — from an anonymous source — that during a late regular season game when Boston was in Miami that the team bus had been burglarized and “a lot” of money and more had been stolen.
The Heat are denying that report.
And they have details. Here is what the team said, passed along from our man Ira Winderman at the Sun Sentinel.
“After our last regular season home game vs. Boston, a Celtics player [Nenad Krstic] made a claim while boarding the team plane following our game that $1,200 was taken from his personal bag that was left on one of the team buses. Additionally, Lawrence Frank also claimed his bag was stolen while they were still here at AA Arena that night, but he found it before they left for the airport.”
“‘We were notified later that night by our NBA team security contact, Tom Fassenella, about the player’s claim and were told the NBA was investigating it. There was an attempt by the NBA to interview the player in Washington the following day but the player was not made available to them.”
“Additionally, NBA security requested Miami Police take a police report, but the player refused. Subsequently, AmericanAirlines Arena Director of Security Bob Hundevadt and Tom reviewed surveillance video of the bus parking area, which was continuously on the night of the game and they observed no unauthorized personnel boarding the bus. The only people on the bus were TSA, and the NBA determined they were not involved.”
Contacted Wednesday night, a Celtics spokesman said the Heat depiction of the events, “as far as I know is accurate.”
To answer your question about why airport TSA was on the bus, when teams have back-to-backs or rapid flights out of an airport after a game (charter flights) it is pretty common for TSA to pre-check bags and the like so long as the bus is secured.
After that, we’ll let you decide the truth.
This is in the past. Right now the Celtics should be a lot more worried about what is happening on the court.
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- LeBron James: “I just have to play better” (77)
- Heat’s Big Three dominate Game 4 to even the Finals at two games apiece (74)
- Report: Clippers, Celtics talks to send Garnett, Rivers to L.A. stalled (72)
- Reports: Jason Kidd finalizes deal, will be Nets new coach (62)
- Can Heat focus enough to avoid elimination?
- CSN: Bruins' defense never rests in Game 3 win
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- PFT: Freed Johnson wants second chance in NFL
- PBT: Judges rules Iverson did not kidnap children
- PFT: Rodgers says Packers' moves a 'wake-up call'
- PFT: Beckham turned down chance to kick in NFL
- Play Video: Bosh: 'We'll see who hits first'
- Play Video: PBT Extra: LeBron's legacy at stake, Duncan's safe
- Play Video: Clippers, Celtics discussions 'can't be wrong'
- Play Video: Elliot looks ahead to Game 6
- Play Video: The Hype: How much would you pay to punch someone?
- Play Video: If Heat lose, 'all hell will break loose'