May 4, 2011, 4:11 PM EDT
It only seems fitting.
Russell on statue: “I am uncomfortable w honors such as this but my yrs as Capt. of the BOS Celtics were the proudest moments of my career.”
Tied to this, the Bill Russell Foundation will develop a mentoring grant program designed to help Boston youth. Which sounds like a very wise, very Bill Russell thing to do.
This is a deserved honor — Russell is arguably the greatest Celtic of them all. The defensive anchor of a team that collected rings like no other team in any other era of the NBA (Russell has 11). He’s a 12-time All-Star and 5-time MVP. He’s a living legend.
Given the Medal of Freedom and a statue in Boston… not a bad year for Russell. Not bad at all.
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 4
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 8
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 27
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 4