May 4, 2011, 4:11 PM EDT
It only seems fitting.
Russell on statue: “I am uncomfortable w honors such as this but my yrs as Capt. of the BOS Celtics were the proudest moments of my career.”
Tied to this, the Bill Russell Foundation will develop a mentoring grant program designed to help Boston youth. Which sounds like a very wise, very Bill Russell thing to do.
This is a deserved honor — Russell is arguably the greatest Celtic of them all. The defensive anchor of a team that collected rings like no other team in any other era of the NBA (Russell has 11). He’s a 12-time All-Star and 5-time MVP. He’s a living legend.
Given the Medal of Freedom and a statue in Boston… not a bad year for Russell. Not bad at all.
- Rumor: Kevin Love out minimum of two weeks, will likely miss most or all of series vs. Bulls 2
- Monta Ellis, J.J. Barea pairing ignites Mavericks offense, gets Dallas Game 4 win over Houston 1
- Wizards blow out Raptors to complete first-round sweep 17
- Chris Paul scores 34 points, Clippers win Game 4 to even series with Spurs 6
- Cavaliers advance to second round – but but maybe lose Kevin Love and moral high ground in process 52
- Mike Conley out for Game 4 with “serious” facial injury, no timetable for return 6
- Grizzlies start fast, hang on to beat Portland, take 3-0 series lead 2
- Bucks outwork Bulls, stay alive on Jerryd Bayless game-winner 6