May 4, 2011, 4:11 PM EDT
It only seems fitting.
Russell on statue: “I am uncomfortable w honors such as this but my yrs as Capt. of the BOS Celtics were the proudest moments of my career.”
Tied to this, the Bill Russell Foundation will develop a mentoring grant program designed to help Boston youth. Which sounds like a very wise, very Bill Russell thing to do.
This is a deserved honor — Russell is arguably the greatest Celtic of them all. The defensive anchor of a team that collected rings like no other team in any other era of the NBA (Russell has 11). He’s a 12-time All-Star and 5-time MVP. He’s a living legend.
Given the Medal of Freedom and a statue in Boston… not a bad year for Russell. Not bad at all.
- Kevin Durant scores 42, Thunder win a chippy one over Rockets 5
- Report: Lakers to officially declare Kobe Bryant out for the season 12
- Suns’ P.J. Tucker suspended one game for blow to head of Blake Griffin 9
- Vogel: Andrew Bynum to play for Indiana Pacers Tuesday night 14
- Report: Phil Jackson expected to finalize contract with Knicks by end of week 32