May 4, 2011, 4:11 PM EDT
It only seems fitting.
Russell on statue: “I am uncomfortable w honors such as this but my yrs as Capt. of the BOS Celtics were the proudest moments of my career.”
Tied to this, the Bill Russell Foundation will develop a mentoring grant program designed to help Boston youth. Which sounds like a very wise, very Bill Russell thing to do.
This is a deserved honor — Russell is arguably the greatest Celtic of them all. The defensive anchor of a team that collected rings like no other team in any other era of the NBA (Russell has 11). He’s a 12-time All-Star and 5-time MVP. He’s a living legend.
Given the Medal of Freedom and a statue in Boston… not a bad year for Russell. Not bad at all.
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 0
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 7
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 12
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 45
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 14
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 48
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 31