May 3, 2011, 8:15 AM EDT
Turns out, nobody wants to be compared to ousted Dodger owner Frank McCourt. Which you can’t blame someone for, McCourt and his wife are setting new lows in professional sports team ownership.
The Maloof brothers, who own the “now we’re staying” Sacramento Kings, did not like it recently when Lakers coach Phil Jackson compared their financial situation to the McCourts. They did not like it one bit.
They wanted their pound of flesh — what they got was an apology letter. And maybe a fine. But Jackson only admitted to the written word.
“I sent them a written apology,” Jackson said.
He actually hand wrote a letter?
“Yes. I had a gun to my head.”
That cracked the media room up. The Maloofs? Still not laughing. They still think the Lakers — Jackson, and more so owner Jerry Buss — are the reason they will spend next season in Sacramento not Anaheim. Truth is there are a lot of reasons there, but if you need a scapegoat in Sacramento the Lakers always make a good one.
And now they have their letter of apology.
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 3
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 1
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 31
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 8
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 14
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 47
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 31
- Wisconsin State Assembly passes Bucks arena deal, clearing the way for Gov. Walker to sign 40