Nine voters leave LeBron James off MVP ballot completely

May 3, 2011, 7:46 PM EST

Miami Heat v Atlanta Hawks Getty Images

It’s time for the annual cry for transparency in the NBA’s MVP voting.

Because if you’re a media member with an MVP vote, you should be able to defend your choices. If you are one of the seven people who did not vote Derrick Rose first, you should be able to explain that. And for the one person who put Kobe Bryant first, we’d really like to hear that explaination.

Or, if you were the person who put Blake Griffin third, we’d all love to hear how you got there.

But the biggest mistake this year — nine voters did not have LeBron James on any of their five votes. (Piston Powered noticed first on twitter, via Tom Ziller.)

If you had an MVP ballot (we didn’t) you have to fill in spots one through five. Nine people did not think LeBron James qualified in the top five in the MVP voting. LeBron who averaged 26.7 points, 7.5 rebounds and 7 assists per game not in the top 5. Did they see the Cavaliers drop off? The Heat’s improvement? Whether you count MVP as best player, most valuable to team, best player on a good team — whatever your criteria James is in your Top 5.

Dwight Howard was left off two ballots, I’d be curious to hear the logic there, too. Kobe Bryant was left of 17.

The argument that this should be a secret ballot so you can vote how your really feel holds no weight — this is MVP of the NBA, not president. This is sports, it’s not really important. We discuss and argue sports all the time. You should be able to defend your logic. Really, you should be able to defend your political votes, too, but one hurdle at a time.

1. steelyres211 - May 3, 2011 at 7:56 PM

Blake Griffin? Really? He’s a highlight factory, but MVP? Really?

• dankyb - May 3, 2011 at 9:36 PM

How bad would the Clippers have been without him. I have no problem with him being voted for 3rd.

• louderthanwords1 - May 7, 2011 at 8:49 PM

If you have no problem with him being voted 3rd then I have a problem with you being allowed to think on your own.

2. pudgalvin - May 3, 2011 at 8:51 PM

Did those seven vote for Dwayne Wade? I could see that.

3. jstrizzle - May 3, 2011 at 9:06 PM

Dan Gilbert has 7 votes?

• jstrizzle - May 3, 2011 at 9:14 PM

I meant 9. Way to screw the pooch on that joke

4. goforthanddie - May 3, 2011 at 9:52 PM

Funny how outraged LeBitch’s situation has you, yet Dwight/Kobe barely get a mention. If anything, you should be raving about the people who didn’t list Howard. LeBitch has *some* help; Howard has none.

5. tubal22 - May 3, 2011 at 9:59 PM

Hey Kurt. I’d like to apologize for myself and the other 7.1 billion people in the world who at some point may have a different opinion than you.

These guys earned their votes, and if 7 people didn’t vote for LeBron, it’s not a fluke. It’s a legitimate opinion. I don’t think there’s any collusion in the MVP voting process. You should know that sports writers have too big of egos to follow with the crowd.

6. sgm405 - May 3, 2011 at 10:13 PM

Can we please stop with this crap that the Cavaliers sucked this year all because LeBron left?

Shaquille O’Neal, Delonte West, and Zydrunas Ilgauskas – all 2009-2010 playoff rotation players – all left as well. Anderson Varejao missed 2/3 of the season, Antawn Jamison missed 26 games. Mo Williams/Baron Davis both missed significant time as well during their time with the Cavaliers.

All of this factored into the Cavaliers’ terrible season, not just LeBron leaving.

• borderline1988 - May 3, 2011 at 11:13 PM

Nope, you’re simply wrong. Sorry.

Lebron’s departure has EVERYTHING to do with the Cavs 2010-11 performance. You are right in the sense that if the Cavs roster had stayed healthy, perhaps they would have won another 4 – 5 games.
      But every team deals with injuries (look at the Bulls!).
      And even if you tack on an extra 5 wins, that’s still about a 40 win difference from last year. 40 wins. Lebron is worth 40 wins – that’s remarkable.
      The Bulls would be pretty bad without Rose, but if you give them an average PG instead of him, they would still have a legitimate shot at 40 – 45 wins (and a playoff berth) with their incredible defense.

The only player with that type of worth in the league is Dwight Howard. And in my opinion, Dwight should be the MVP, and Lebron should be the runner-up. Rose is third.

Kobe shouldn’t even be considered (he’s not even the key to success for the Lakers). The Lakers play their best ball when they go away from Kobe, and instead go into the post. How do you give a player an MVP award when his team plays better when he doesn’t control the ball??

• aboogy123456 - May 4, 2011 at 9:33 AM

Kobe doesn’t need to control the ball to be successful. He understands how to play off the ball, unlike lebron who sucks unless it’s in his hands. He also wins championships.

• sgm405 - May 4, 2011 at 5:37 PM

Sorry, I just don’t agree. Let’s pretend that ONLY LeBron left, and that everyone else stayed healthy.

C-O’Neal/Ilgauskas
        PF-Hickson/Varejao/Powe
        SF-Jamison/Moon/Eyenga
        SG-Parker/Gibson
        PG-Williams/West

I put Jamison at SF because he played there a bit last season, and would likely play there in this scenario, with so many other options at C and PF.

You really that that team goes 24-58 (5 more wins)???? Simply having a post presence alone would add 5-10 wins alone (instead of running Ryan Hollins at center).

At the very least, they would have hovered around .500, meaning LeBron is worth around 20 wins, which is still outstanding, but not as overstated as you and some media members are making it.

• borderline1988 - May 4, 2011 at 5:57 PM

Aboogy:

I don’t understand where you’re coming from. Kobe doesn’t play very well off the ball at all…how many screens does he set? Rolls to the basket? Backdoor cuts? Offensive rebounds? Kobe primarily comes off screens, gets the ball, and mans up his defender.
        Lebron is far and away a better offensive player off the ball. This is the first year that he’s had to function that way, and he’s certainly proven his worth…lately he’s been setting a number of screens for Wade and rolling to the bucket, as well as receiving alley oops in the half courtz.

• scorp16 - May 3, 2011 at 11:20 PM

Yeah they actually did suck…..and…LeBron leaving had a lot to do with it…Your point is?? Your argument was that Shaq left? Hahaha…………………………………….

AND Pray your Indians don’t play the Marlins again………Because Cleveland……..South Florida is Cleveland’s Daddy!

7. torotrigger - May 4, 2011 at 9:59 AM

Yeah I think there is still a lot of a animosity towards the heat for choosing to take less then max contracts to play in a great city and with friends… I can see where the jealousy stems from. And I think WHEN the heat win this year it’s gonna piss off all the ‘marriotti-esque’ fa***t writers who side with Dan gilbert for some ridiculous reason.

Haters gonna hate

8. ocgunslinger - May 4, 2011 at 10:11 AM

It’s what we do best. :-)

9. fouldwimmerlaik - May 4, 2011 at 10:35 AM

Maybe some voters just found it difficult to vote for an azzwad like Lebron. That could be a reason.

• torotrigger - May 4, 2011 at 1:34 PM

precisely my point – letting personal feelings affect your job. EPIC FAIL

• fouldwimmerlaik - May 4, 2011 at 2:09 PM

You REALLY used the term “Epic Fail”? Wow.

• torotrigger - May 4, 2011 at 2:35 PM

i did, as a wink-nod to your eloquently stated term “azzwad”? sarcasm my boy. saaaaar-casm.

• fouldwimmerlaik - May 4, 2011 at 2:38 PM

OK…if you say so.

10. diablito0402 - May 4, 2011 at 10:42 AM

LeChoke wouldnt get my top five vote. Yeah he averaged 26,7 and 7. But the real stats he was like 2 for 15 with shots to tie or win with under 10 seconds to go. Not MVP type numbers you dig.

11. rapmusicmademedoit - May 4, 2011 at 7:16 PM

because they have season tickets for the Cavs………….

12. sjc23yee - May 4, 2011 at 10:46 PM

.Derrick Rose was given MVP, and it was due to the Bulls very good regular season, and I repeat REGULAR season not the playoffs! Derrick rose averaged 25 ppg 7.7 apg 4.1 rpg 3.84 turnovers pg and shot 44 % from the field, LeBron James stats are superior to D rose , LBJ’s regular season stats are 26.7 ppg 7 apg 7.5 rpg 3.6 turnovers pg and shot 51% from the field. So Lebron averages 1.7 more ppg 3.4 more rpg .7 less apg then a so called pg while turning the ball over less, while shooting 7%higher form the field. Not to mention LeBron is ranked #1 in player efficiency rating with a score of 27.34 while D Rose ranks 9 with player efficiency rating of 23.62. But wait I already know what your going to say , Derrick Rose means more to his team .You know what I say hahahaha are you serious? Have you seen the Cleavland Cavilers? They went from the best record in the NBA with LeBron James to the absolute worst record in the NBA without LeBron so lets just throw that argument out the window. But hold on, I already know what your going to say bias Bulls fans and LeBron James Haters. LeBron has Dwayne Wade, you know what I say AGAIN, hahah are you serious? Who is Chicago’s pride and joy, I think his name is Michael Jordan, and I do recall him having arguably the and 2nd best player of his time Scottie PIppen for every single championship and MVP season. So I guess we throw that argument out the window also.
    But thats done and over with Derrick Rose won 2010 -2011 NBA MVP congrats but does he deserve it , I say no but thats just me . I read an article and it stated “this years NBA MVP should be called the not LeBron James Award” because there is no way the voters were going to award a 3rd straight MVP to LeBron James even if it is deserved due to LeBron leaving Cleveland for Miami and the only players in history to win 3 straight NBA MVP’s is Bill Russell, Wilt Chamberlin, and Larry Bird. Even Jordan didn’t win 3 straight MVP’s so there is no way the voters were going to let LeBron get 3 straight MVPs and be in that conversation. I feel it obviously should have been a two man race for NBA MVP between Dwight Howard and LeBron James with Rose maybe coming in 3rd.
    But like I said the regular season is over an done with Derrick Rose got his MVP, Tom Thibodeau got his much deserved coach of the year award, and the Bulls got the 1st seed for the playoffs. BUT! the trophies end there, D Rose and the Bulls struggled in every game against this years worst playoff team the Indiana Pacers. They then went down 0-1 to the ATL Hawks mean while LeBron and the Heat get past the Sixers and take a commanding 2-0 lead against the defending Eastern Conference champion Boston Celtics. So what am I getting at? D Rose is struggling in the playoffs only shooting 37% in the playoffs and at one point he was 10 for 40 combined in two playoff games. Mean while LeBron James is averaging 25.4 ppg 9.4 rpg 5.4 apg and shooting 48% from the field and rolling through the playoffs even though the Heat have a tougher road to the finals.
    But at the end of the day I say the Chicago Bulls are a very good regular season team, with a bright future but don’t have that moxi or the fire power to win the NBA finals this year or compete with the Heat in the future. Let alone even get out of the second round or the East. Do we really think the Bulls will beat MIA, OKC ,DAL, or the LAKERS in a 7 game series ? Come on now I know I don’t think that and for your financial stability I highly advise you not to put your money on the Bulls to win it all. But with that said all in all Congratulations Chicago Bulls on the REGULAR SEASON, but they just don’t have what is takes to win it all and this ride will end shortly for CHI town. As for LeBron and the Heat … even in their 1st season together it’s looking promising and there is a good chance a championship may be insight for the Heat. I’m absolutely positive LeBron wouldn’t trade what D Rose and the Bulls had in the regular season for a NBA tittle and possibly a Finals MVP or co finals MVP . Either way things are pointing towards KING JAMES having the last laugh, but only time will tell, I know I will be watching and I’m betting D rose and the Bulls will be watching shortly too. Remember, we are all WITNESSES!

• rapmusicmademedoit - May 5, 2011 at 6:14 PM

who is going to read all of this without getting drunk or high first………………

come on man

13. sjc23yee - May 4, 2011 at 10:48 PM

Could Sixers be worst team in NBA history?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches