May 3, 2011, 7:46 PM EST
It’s time for the annual cry for transparency in the NBA’s MVP voting.
Because if you’re a media member with an MVP vote, you should be able to defend your choices. If you are one of the seven people who did not vote Derrick Rose first, you should be able to explain that. And for the one person who put Kobe Bryant first, we’d really like to hear that explaination.
Or, if you were the person who put Blake Griffin third, we’d all love to hear how you got there.
If you had an MVP ballot (we didn’t) you have to fill in spots one through five. Nine people did not think LeBron James qualified in the top five in the MVP voting. LeBron who averaged 26.7 points, 7.5 rebounds and 7 assists per game not in the top 5. Did they see the Cavaliers drop off? The Heat’s improvement? Whether you count MVP as best player, most valuable to team, best player on a good team — whatever your criteria James is in your Top 5.
Dwight Howard was left off two ballots, I’d be curious to hear the logic there, too. Kobe Bryant was left of 17.
The argument that this should be a secret ballot so you can vote how your really feel holds no weight — this is MVP of the NBA, not president. This is sports, it’s not really important. We discuss and argue sports all the time. You should be able to defend your logic. Really, you should be able to defend your political votes, too, but one hurdle at a time.
- Report: At the moment, Lakers no longer considering trading Pau gasol 0
- PBT Extra: Damian Lillard or Kyrie Irving? Plus coaching hot seat talk. 6
- Report: Celtics may be frontrunners for Asik; would move Bass, Lee, pick 6
- Tyson Chandler returns to Knicks lineup Wednesday night 5
- Beasley out, LeBron game-time decision; Heat not worried about Pacers right now 16
- NFL legend Jim Brown takes shot at Kobe Bryant, Kobe fires back (105)
- Report: Heat have interest in Celtics’ Jordan Crawford (50)
- Pau Gasol expresses frustration with D’Antoni offense. Lakers have to think trade. (49)
- Deserving or not Kobe Bryant, Dwyane Wade among All-Star starters in early voting returns (48)
- Mike D’Antoni to Pau Gasol: “There’s no reason to not play hard” (48)