May 3, 2011, 3:25 PM EST
Which from the outside looks pretty good — they are up 1-0 on the Celtics in the second round of the NBA playoffs, and they get to live in Miami and eat good Cuban food all the time — but don’t think their union is all puppy dogs and rainbows with no fights.
Both admitted they have plenty, as Brian Windhorst reported at ESPN.
“It’s not a bed of roses with me and (Wade) and (Chris Bosh). We get on each other if we feel like they’re not doing they’re job,” James said. “We feel like it is constructive criticism that we need to have for one another to have a productive team. Anytime you have new teammates, it doesn’t matter if you’re friends or not, you have to realize certain people react to certain situations. Some people can be yelled at and still play, some people you have to do it in a certain way.”
So LeBron can yell at Wade but not Bosh. Check. Wade said he can take it and dish it out.
“There’s been times where he’s gotten on me for something and vice versa,” Wade said.
“If I make a mistake and he calls me out on it … I might say you’re right. Sometimes I won’t agree with him and I’ll say, “I don’t agree,” and we’ll move on. We’ll come back later and we’ll discuss it. We’re not always patting each other on the back. Our job is to get the best out of each other so when we seen an opportunity to do that, we have to be leaders and step up and do that.”
Just like an old married couple, they may fight but they also have each others back against the outside world. They are still friends. That friendship that was once all off the court and has had to evolve as they have moved on the court.
But based on the results so far, they seem to have worked it out. We’ll see what happens under the real stress of some playoff losses, but right now their marriage is working out just fine.
- Russell Westbrook undergoes procedure to address cheek fracture, will be re-evaluated next week 2
- Russell Westbrook takes knee to face, it leaves dent (VIDEO) 14
- Former All-Star, popular Knick Anthony Mason dies at age 48 12
- Russell Westbrook posts third straight triple-double, Thunder lose anyway 6
- Shane Battier: ‘I think a 60-game season would be perfect’ 15
- Kyrie Irving has strained left shoulder, out Friday vs. Pacers 0
- Derrick Rose expected to return in 4-6 weeks. In time for playoffs. 20
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Thursday: The Cavaliers we expected have arrived 17