May 3, 2011, 9:53 PM EDT
Kobe Bryant is largely considered one of the game’s best closers, but the numbers recently have shown that this assertion is simply not factually correct.
The most recent data comes from ESPN Stats & Info, who point out that Bryant has now missed five straight postseason go-ahead or game-tying field goals that he’s taken in the final 24 seconds of fourth quarter or overtime.
This includes, of course, Bryant’s missed three-point attempt at the buzzer against the Mavericks in Game 1 of the Western Conference semi-finals on Monday. The reason for the streak of misses, as told by Bryant himself at the Lakers practice facility on Tuesday?
“I’m not clutch,” he said sarcastically.
Bryant’s production in the clutch has been widely debated, and for good reason. He has plenty of makes with the game on the line, but due to almost exclusive usage by his team in these situations, he has many more misses. And in the playoffs, according to ESPN Los Angeles, the last time Bryant has converted was back in 2008 against the San Antonio Spurs.
- Pacers’ coach Vogel explains decision to bench Hibbert late, says afterward ‘we’ll probably have him in next time’ 0
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers 2
- LeBron’s game-winning layup at the overtime buzzer gives Heat Game 1 win over Pacers (VIDEO) 12
- Report: Carmelo Anthony has torn labrum, may need surgery 4
- Report: Mavericks looking to move No. 13 pick to clear out cap space for run at Howard, CP3 29
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (89)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (75)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games