Derrick Rose officially named MVP

May 3, 2011, 5:24 PM EDT

Chicago Bulls v Phoenix Suns Getty Images

We knew it was coming, seemingly forever, and as should be expected it was a runaway.

Derrick Rose is the NBA’s MVP. The youngest ever at age 22. The most recent in Chicago Bull to win it since that guy with the statue out in front of the United Center. Rose becomes only the second MVP to win playing for his hometown (Wilt Chamberlain in Philadelphia).

Rose gave a personal, emotional acceptance speech thanking his mother for all her sacrifices. He talked a lot about how they helped lay a foundation for who he became.

“I remember coming in to training camp saying that I wanted to be MVP,” Rose said. “I wasn’t trying to be cocky at all. I knew that I put a lot of hard work in in the summer, in the offseason and I just wanted to push myself, and that was about it.”

Rose was the Bulls offense. While there are other guys who can score — well, theoretically Carlos Boozer can score — Rose was not only expected to create the shots for himself and others. When he was on the floor, 32.2 percent of Bulls plays ended with a Rose shot, assist, turnover or him being fouled. That was a higher percentage than any other player in the NBA.

Rose was a runaway with 113 first place votes out of 120 and 1,182 points. Orlando’s Dwight Howard finished second with 643 points, followed by LeBron James, Kobe Bryant and Kevin Durant in the voting.

1. liltmac2003 - May 3, 2011 at 6:19 PM

Congratulations to D-Rose.

He deserved it.

• liltmac2003 - May 3, 2011 at 10:33 PM

Here is the video of his press conference: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Z6aoNaWD8M

This guy is just so unbelievably humble and sincere, especially when he begins to talk about his mother and family.

• scorp16 - May 3, 2011 at 11:52 PM

SHAM…….DWade and LBJ eat Derek’s lunch….Just wait

• boondocksaint224 - May 4, 2011 at 12:38 AM

The first WORD of the headline of this article is the man’s first name, and yet you can’t spell it correctly. That really screams “Respect my opinion”.

Congrats to D-Rose. He truly earned it.

2. mrklutch - May 3, 2011 at 6:29 PM

Too bad his team sucks.

3. redbear18 - May 3, 2011 at 7:43 PM

I still wish D-12 would have won, but you can’t deny that Rose deserved this. Congratulations.

4. deiong - May 3, 2011 at 10:07 PM

is the fact that they gave it to him now, mean the nba has the plans to have the hawks win? scripted??

5. chitownbulls - May 3, 2011 at 10:15 PM

I know, its scary right? I wish this could be it and Stern wouldn’t present it before the game, but I guess it is for the fans. Bottom line is, we MUST win on Wednesday and I would prefer no distractions. I have a feeling though that D. Rose will have his game/poker face on, will hoist the trophy in the air, and then get back to the business of playing basketball. I see OKC jumped on Memphis early, we need to do the same.

• downtowndanny - May 4, 2011 at 3:07 AM

the bulls need to get Kurt and Kyle going early though, Taj is all business, Noah needs to beast out to cover for Carlos, and ronnie and Keith need to get at Joe Johnson, I can live with Jamal getting off but not Joe. Dam this gone be a good game!!!!

6. purdueman - May 4, 2011 at 2:09 AM

I’m a life-long Bulls fan (going all the way back to the days of Chet Walker, Butterbean Love, Stormin’ Norman Van Lier, Jerry Sloan and the soft handed center, Tom Boerwinkle), and it’s pretty clear to me that the Bulls aren’t going to make to to the NBA Finals this year because they simply have no true shooting guard to get that critical basket when the team badly needs one.

This just further though underlies just how valuable Derrick Rose was this season. Without Rose? The Bulls at best are one and done in the playoffs, just as they were the previous two seasons before management went out and bolstered the team with the key acquisition of Carlos Boozer. Too bad that the bigger the game though, the more Boozer wilts under the limelight, but folks, that’s the baldfaced reality of the situation.

Rose earned this MVP! La Bum having Wade to bail him out is MUCH more significant than any of the current supporting cast that Rose has around him, as is the case too with Kobe having Bynum and Gasol to help take the heat off of him.

There’s only been one team in the past 29 years to have won an NBA title without having at least 2 stars. The Bulls right now only have one, albeit they do have arguably the best bench in basketball right now.

7. sjc23yee - May 4, 2011 at 10:14 AM

I’m getting really tired of hearing these bias, hypocritical Bulls fans living in a fantasy world, thinking the Bulls are winning it all. Derrick Rose was given MVP, and it was due to the Bulls very good regular season, and I repeat REGULAR season not the playoffs! Derrick rose averaged 25 ppg 7.7 apg 4.1 rpg 3.84 turnovers pg and shot 44 % from the field, LeBron James stats are superior to D rose , LBJ’s regular season stats are 26.7 ppg 7 apg 7.5 rpg 3.6 turnovers pg and shot 51% from the field. So Lebron averages 1.7 more ppg 3.4 more rpg .7 less apg then a so called pg while turning the ball over less, while shooting 7%higher form the field. Not to mention LeBron is ranked #1 in player efficiency rating with a score of 27.34 while D Rose ranks 9 with player efficiency rating of 23.62. But wait I already know what your going to say , Derrick Rose means more to his team .You know what I say hahahaha are you serious? Have you seen the Cleavland Cavilers? They went from the best record in the NBA with LeBron James to the absolute worst record in the NBA without LeBron so lets just throw that argument out the window. But hold on, I already know what your going to say bias Bulls fans and LeBron James Haters. LeBron has Dwayne Wade, you know what I say AGAIN, hahah are you serious? Who is Chicago’s pride and joy, I think his name is Michael Jordan, and I do recall him having arguably the and 2nd best player of his time Scottie PIppen for every single championship and MVP season. So I guess we throw that argument out the window also.
    But thats done and over with Derrick Rose won 2010 -2011 NBA MVP congrats but does he deserve it , I say no but thats just me . I read an article and it stated “this years NBA MVP should be called the not LeBron James Award” because there is no way the voters were going to award a 3rd straight MVP to LeBron James even if it is deserved due to LeBron leaving Cleveland for Miami and the only players in history to win 3 straight NBA MVP’s is Bill Russell, Wilt Chamberlin, and Larry Bird. Even Jordan didn’t win 3 straight MVP’s so there is no way the voters were going to let LeBron get 3 straight MVPs and be in that conversation. I feel it obviously should have been a tow man race for NBA MVP between Dwight Howard and LeBron James with Rose maybe coming in 3rd.
    But like I said the regular season is over an done with Derrick Rose got his MVP, Tom Thibodeau got his much deserved coach of the year award, and the Bulls got the 1st seed for the playoffs. BUT! the trophies end there, D Rose and the Bulls struggled in every game against this years worst playoff team the Indiana Pacers. They then went down 0-1 to the ATL Hawks mean while LeBron and the Heat get past the Sixers and take a commanding 2-0 lead against the defending Eastern Conference champion Boston Celtics. So what am I getting at? D Rose is struggling in the playoffs only shooting 37% in the playoffs and at one point he was 10 for 40 combined in two playoff games. Mean while LeBron James is averaging 25.4 ppg 9.4 rpg 5.4 apg and shooting 48% from the field and rolling through the playoffs even though the Heat have a tougher road to the finals.
    But at the end of the day I say the Chicago Bulls are a very good regular season team, with a bright future but don’t have that moxi or the fire power to win the NBA finals this year or compete with the Heat in the future. Let alone even get out of the second round or the East. Do we really think the Bulls will beat MIA, OKC ,DAL, or the LAKERS in a 7 game series ? Come on now I know I don’t think that and for your financial stability I highly advise you not to put your money on the Bulls to win it all. But with that said all in all Congratulations Chicago Bulls on the REGULAR SEASON, but they just don’t have what is takes to win it all and this ride will end shortly for CHI town. As for LeBron and the Heat … even in their 1st season together it’s looking promising and there is a good chance a championship may be insight for the Heat. I’m absolutely positive LeBron wouldn’t trade what D Rose and the Bulls had in the regular season for a NBA tittle and possibly a Finals MVP or co finals MVP . Either way things are pointing towards KING JAMES having the last laugh, but only time will tell, I know I will be watching and I’m betting D rose and the Bulls will be watching shortly too. Remember, we are all WITNESSES!

• purdueman - May 4, 2011 at 6:36 PM

And I’m sick and tired about hearing how “great” La Bum James is too! La Bum has Wade and Bosh to shoulder the load; Rose has nothing around him but a bunch of role players and Carlos Boozer, who disappears during big games. Apples and oranges comparison.

If the Heat wind up playing the Lakers in the Finals, I’ll likely wind up throwing a brick through my tv screen, because I’m sick and tired of all the Laker hype and hope that La Bum doesn’t even win an election for dog catcher the rest of his working career.

• willias1 - May 5, 2011 at 12:57 AM

@sjc23yee seriously quit leaving the same lame essay on every Bulls post. We get it, you like Lebron. Couple of points, yeah Jordan had Scottie for all those years but never in a game situation that mattered did Jordan let someone else make the key decision, it was always him. He didn’t always take the shot but he used his high game IQ to put him or his team mates in the best position possible (Paxson, Steve Kerr, Wennington against the Knicks, etc.). Lebron continues to fail in these situations and more so defers to let D Wade make most of these decisions in the late game. Some leader Queen James is.
      Secondly you ask do we really think that the Bulls could be MIA, OKC, DAL, or LA in a series?? Yeah I do. 3-0 vs MIA, 2-0 vs DAL and series splits against LA and OKC tells me CHI can play with anyone. Do we read too much into close playoff games at this point? I wouldn’t, it’s the playoffs and games will be close, plus the Bulls style of play (defense 1st, offense built around turnovers and runouts, and pick and roll sets) lends them to be in a lot of close games. The Heat are 6-15 in games this year decided by 5 points or less. Sure the blowouts look good but wait until teams play them tight, hell the Heat looked out of sorts in 3 close games against the 76ers, but Philly’s lack of talent caught up to them. The Bulls and D-Rose, they just want to win. Sometimes, hell most of the time, it’s ugly but if they get the W then nothing else matters. I’ll take that any day.

• purdueman - May 5, 2011 at 1:39 AM

2sjc’s ridiculously long essays are indeed just that… ridiculous! CONCUR!!!

Only bandwagoners really give a damn about La Bum. La Bum showed the world what he was truly all about last post season, when he totally QUIT on his team on closing night! Hopefully history will repeat itself this year too!

8. Ryan Karhut - May 4, 2011 at 11:39 AM

Here’s the sickest Rose MVP video I’ve seen.

Rose Officially Named MVP: http://t.co/dT2M5Re

9. fouldwimmerlaik - May 4, 2011 at 1:47 PM

Congratulations D-Rose! You deserve it. Well done!

10. sjc23yee - May 4, 2011 at 10:38 PM

Derrick Rose is not proficient, take this last playoff game Rose shot 10-27 for 25 points 37% from the field 10 assist and 8 TURNOVERS! Shooting more shot attempts then your amount of points is unacceptable.
    While LeBron James shot 14-25 for 35 points 56% from the field 7 rebounds 2 assists and NO TURNOVERS!
    Thats PROFICIENCY !

• purdueman - May 5, 2011 at 11:22 AM

scj… you’re so high up on La Bum’s bandwagon I just hope that you don’t fall… because you’ll break your neck at that lofty height! La Bum’s a wing player; Rose is a point guard. Point guards are expected to also be there teams top offensive threat, and therein lies the problem for Rose… he has no D-Wade to get the ball to. Then again, any logic seems to be lost on you.

Handing out NBA's postseason awards