May 3, 2011, 5:24 PM EDT
We knew it was coming, seemingly forever, and as should be expected it was a runaway.
Derrick Rose is the NBA’s MVP. The youngest ever at age 22. The most recent in Chicago Bull to win it since that guy with the statue out in front of the United Center. Rose becomes only the second MVP to win playing for his hometown (Wilt Chamberlain in Philadelphia).
Rose gave a personal, emotional acceptance speech thanking his mother for all her sacrifices. He talked a lot about how they helped lay a foundation for who he became.
“I remember coming in to training camp saying that I wanted to be MVP,” Rose said. “I wasn’t trying to be cocky at all. I knew that I put a lot of hard work in in the summer, in the offseason and I just wanted to push myself, and that was about it.”
Rose was the Bulls offense. While there are other guys who can score — well, theoretically Carlos Boozer can score — Rose was not only expected to create the shots for himself and others. When he was on the floor, 32.2 percent of Bulls plays ended with a Rose shot, assist, turnover or him being fouled. That was a higher percentage than any other player in the NBA.
Rose was a runaway with 113 first place votes out of 120 and 1,182 points. Orlando’s Dwight Howard finished second with 643 points, followed by LeBron James, Kobe Bryant and Kevin Durant in the voting.
- Cavaliers sold Kyrie Irving on contract extension with LeBron James-Kevin Love plan 32
- Kevin Love says Timberwolves owner should focus on his own team following trade to Cavaliers 32
- Iman Shumpert excited to play in triangle offense because he won’t just have to stand in the corner 6
- Timberwolves owner: Kevin Love might regret trade because he’ll be third banana with Cavaliers 48
- Anthony Davis and Kenneth Faried lead Team USA in final World Cup tune-up 20
- Thunder trade Hasheem Thabeet to 76ers 37
- From late-arriving to a LeBron James favorite, Kevin Love comes full circle 17
- Clippers trade Jared Dudley and first rounder to Bucks for Carlos Delfino and Miroslav Raduljica 23