May 2, 2011, 9:47 AM EDT
From our “no news is good news” file…
The deadline for Knicks owner James Dolan to pick up the option year on team president Donnie Walsh’s contract came and went Saturday without a word out of Madison Square Garden.
Which is actually a good thing, the New York Post says (and when was the last time the New York Post said anything was a good thing?).
Why? Because it’s a sign that he is about to get a two-year extension instead. We told you that was coming and the Post says he lack of a note on the pickup of the option year is just another sign the extension is coming.
One source said the delay in Walsh’s announcement could be due to him trying to finalize new contracts for several members of his basketball staff, including senior VP Glen Grunwald and pro personnel director John Gabriel. It is unclear if Walsh wants recently hired consultant Mark Warkentien to return. The former Nuggets GM’s pact ends June 30.
The issue in talks between Walsh and Dolan was one of autonomy — Dolan jumped in and hijacked the Carmelo Anthony trade talks, adding several role players to the deal to make sure it got done. Walsh had taken a more patient position under the theory that Anthony really wanted to come there and they could get him as a free agent if not in a trade, all without ripping up the current roster. Patience was tossed out the window by Dolan. Walsh doesn’t want that to happen again.
But for now no news is good news. Expect word of the Walsh extension to become official soon.
- Paul George leaves USA Basketball Showcase with severe lower leg injury, remainder of scrimmage canceled 60
- Rumor: Corey Brewer to Cleveland now part of Kevin Love trade talk 24
- Tony Parker signs (another) contract extension with Spurs 10
- Bulls owner issues statement refuting rift between Bulls front office, Derrick Rose 23
- If traded before World Cup starts could Kevin Love still play for USA? Colangelo said it’s possible. 2
- Anthony Davis steps into spotlight, is Team USA’s lynchpin 18
- Referee Violet Palmer comes out publicly as gay 49
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 89