May 2, 2011, 9:47 AM EDT
From our “no news is good news” file…
The deadline for Knicks owner James Dolan to pick up the option year on team president Donnie Walsh’s contract came and went Saturday without a word out of Madison Square Garden.
Which is actually a good thing, the New York Post says (and when was the last time the New York Post said anything was a good thing?).
Why? Because it’s a sign that he is about to get a two-year extension instead. We told you that was coming and the Post says he lack of a note on the pickup of the option year is just another sign the extension is coming.
One source said the delay in Walsh’s announcement could be due to him trying to finalize new contracts for several members of his basketball staff, including senior VP Glen Grunwald and pro personnel director John Gabriel. It is unclear if Walsh wants recently hired consultant Mark Warkentien to return. The former Nuggets GM’s pact ends June 30.
The issue in talks between Walsh and Dolan was one of autonomy — Dolan jumped in and hijacked the Carmelo Anthony trade talks, adding several role players to the deal to make sure it got done. Walsh had taken a more patient position under the theory that Anthony really wanted to come there and they could get him as a free agent if not in a trade, all without ripping up the current roster. Patience was tossed out the window by Dolan. Walsh doesn’t want that to happen again.
But for now no news is good news. Expect word of the Walsh extension to become official soon.
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Number shows Matthew Dellavedova’s defensive value 2
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Cleveland may want to cover Curry in the left corner 2
- It’s official: Scott Skiles hired as head coach of Orlando Magic 27
- PBT Podcast: Talking Thibodeau/Bulls divorce; future for Rockets, Hawks 0
- Warriors’ Klay Thompson officially diagnosed with concussion 22
- Klay Thompson should not have been cleared to return to Game 5 after concussion evaluation 17
- Dwight Howard suspended one game after foul switcheroo 18
- Three coaches who may replace Tom Thibodeau in Chicago 15