May 2, 2011, 11:09 AM EDT
There was a lot of Zach Randolph love after he tore up the Oklahoma City Thunder Sunday just like he had done the San Antonio Spurs the weeks before. (Maybe that Duncan guy isn’t so old…)
Randolph was the expected monster inside, but he also was 5-of-8 from the midrange — he (and Marc Gasol) stepped out and showed range, which made things harder for Oklahoma City.
That prompted Durant to heap praise on Z-Bo (via the Oklahoman).
“We gotta make him shoot tougher shots, but if he’s making ’em, you can’t stop him,” Durant said. “He’s an animal.
“He’s the best power forward in the league, I think.”
Pretty high praise. What do you think of that, Zach? (via the Commercial Appeal)
“I’ve got to agree with that. Thanks, KD,” a smiling Randolph said while sitting in front of a microphone as the interview room filled with laughter.
Randolph and Gasol were to provide the first real test for the Kendrick Perkins/Serge Ibaka front line for the Thunder. The front line that was going to shore up their weakness of being soft in the middle. And while there is a lot of series to go, they failed round one.
If they fail a couple more rounds there are going to be a lot of questions being asked in Oklahoma City.
But Z-Bo will have a lot to say about that, too. Just ask him.
- PBT Extra: Free agent signings we didn’t love 4
- Report: Wes Matthews reaches agreement to join Dallas Mavericks 20
- PBT Extra: Five best free agent signings in the first days of free agency 9
- Dwyane Wade agrees to one-year, $20 million deal to stay with Heat 54
- PBT Podcast: Talking best signings of free agency so far 0
- Report: Pacers agree to four-year, $44 million contract with Monta Ellis 22
- Report: Greg Monroe signing a maximum contract with Bucks 56
- Lakers, Knicks struggle on hectic first day of free agency 64