May 1, 2011, 7:15 PM EST
There was a lot of bad blood between the Boston Celtics and the Miami Heat coming into the conference semifinals, and it’s only going to get worse after Paul Pierce was ejected from Game 1 of the series.
The Celtics’ captain was thrown out of the game after being involved in two altercations that resulted in double technical fouls being issued. The first technical came at the 7:58 mark of the fourth quarter. Pierce got James Jones into the air with a pump-fake, and Jones wrapped up Pierce around the neck/shoulder area in order to prevent him from getting a possible And-1 opportunity. Pierce took exception to Jones’ foul, and got right up in Jones’ face, talking trash while performing what the broadcast crew described as a “face-rub.”
Less than a minute of game time later, Dwyane Wade was issued a personal foul for running through a screen set by Pierce. Pierce had what were apparently some choice words for Wade after the whistle was blown, and referee Ed Malloy issued another double-technical to Pierce and Wade, which meant Pierce had to be ejected.
Given how aggressive Pierce was with Jones on his first technical less than a minute earlier, Malloy may have been quick to T up Pierce because he was afraid the situation was escalating. In hindsight, it appears as though Malloy should have allowed Pierce to stay in the game, especially given the situation, but Malloy had to make a call in the heat of the moment.
After the game, referee Danny Crawford explained Pierce’s second technical, saying that Pierce “directed profanity at Wade,” which qualifies as a “verbal taunt.”
After the game, Celtic coach Doc Rivers said that both Jones and Wade’s fouls on Pierce should have been flagrant fouls, but he also said that Pierce should not have reacted. When Pierce was ejected, the Celtics were down 87-74. The Celtics outscored the Heat over the last seven minutes of the game, but it wasn’t enough for them to avoid a loss.
- The Extra Pass: A Google goggle revolution dream, plus Wednesday’s recaps 3
- Wednesday night NBA Grades: LaMarcus Aldridge is a flat out stud 6
- Arena evacuated after fire, Spurs-Timberwolves game in Mexico City postponed 14
- Milwaukee police release video, cite Larry Sanders for bar fight 12
- PBT Extra: Focusing on “epic showdown” between Knicks, Nets 6
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (63)
- Report: Dion Waiters accused Kyrie Irving, Tristan Thompson of playing “buddy ball.” (53)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (41)
- With game in balance, Jason Kidd tells player to “hit me,” spills drink, gets psuedo timeout to draw up play (40)