May 1, 2011, 7:15 PM EDT
There was a lot of bad blood between the Boston Celtics and the Miami Heat coming into the conference semifinals, and it’s only going to get worse after Paul Pierce was ejected from Game 1 of the series.
The Celtics’ captain was thrown out of the game after being involved in two altercations that resulted in double technical fouls being issued. The first technical came at the 7:58 mark of the fourth quarter. Pierce got James Jones into the air with a pump-fake, and Jones wrapped up Pierce around the neck/shoulder area in order to prevent him from getting a possible And-1 opportunity. Pierce took exception to Jones’ foul, and got right up in Jones’ face, talking trash while performing what the broadcast crew described as a “face-rub.”
Less than a minute of game time later, Dwyane Wade was issued a personal foul for running through a screen set by Pierce. Pierce had what were apparently some choice words for Wade after the whistle was blown, and referee Ed Malloy issued another double-technical to Pierce and Wade, which meant Pierce had to be ejected.
Given how aggressive Pierce was with Jones on his first technical less than a minute earlier, Malloy may have been quick to T up Pierce because he was afraid the situation was escalating. In hindsight, it appears as though Malloy should have allowed Pierce to stay in the game, especially given the situation, but Malloy had to make a call in the heat of the moment.
After the game, referee Danny Crawford explained Pierce’s second technical, saying that Pierce “directed profanity at Wade,” which qualifies as a “verbal taunt.”
After the game, Celtic coach Doc Rivers said that both Jones and Wade’s fouls on Pierce should have been flagrant fouls, but he also said that Pierce should not have reacted. When Pierce was ejected, the Celtics were down 87-74. The Celtics outscored the Heat over the last seven minutes of the game, but it wasn’t enough for them to avoid a loss.
- LeBron James: “(The Bulls) are a team that’s much better than us right now just off chemistry” 32
- Has Kobe Bryant cost the Lakers Dwight Howard, Carmelo Anthony, Paul George and others? 62
- Five favorites to win NBA 2014-15 MVP 18
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 preview: San Antonio Spurs 7
- NBA’s 44-minute game clocks in at under 2 hours, players barely notice (VIDEO) 2
- Nets coach Hollins on 44-minute game: ‘The change will be for the guys who don’t start’ 11
- Spurs’ Gregg Popovich fires back at Suns owner’s apology: ‘I’m just surprised he didn’t do it in a chicken suit’ 8
- Blake Griffin goes after Trevor Booker following flagrant foul, says he may retaliate in the future (VIDEO) 31