May 1, 2011, 5:02 PM EDT
UPDATE 5:02 pm: It’s official, Tom Thibodeau is your Coach of the Year. He will be honored before the Bulls game Monday night.
As we said, this is well deserved. The Bulls had a roster with eight new players yet melded into a defensive power that finished with the best recoed in the NBA.
Philadelphia’s Doug Collins was second in the voting, San Antonio’s Gregg Popovich was third and Denver’s George Karl was fourth.
11:52 am: The Chicago Bulls are having a press conference at 3:30 (eastern) today for a “major announcement.”
That means either Derrick Rose is going to be named MVP or Tom Thibodeau is going to be named Coach of the Year.
Tom Thibodeau has won NBA Coach of the Year, the Tribune has confirmed.
It is possible Rose winning will be announced at the same time.
This is well deserved. The Bulls got 21 games better season over season, and improved to be the best defensive team in the NBA. Rose also credits the growth in his game to the pushing by Thibodeau.
Thibodeau will accept the award, if they can pry him out of the film room for a couple of minutes.
- Team USA going small ball, but how many bigs do they keep on the bench? 2
- Report: LeBron James more popular than he ever was with the Heat 8
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 4
- Kevin Durant knows you’re talking about his free agency but isn’t giving many clues. He liked what LeBron did. 16
- Byron Scott makes ridiculous optimism sound reasonable 40
- Derrick Rose told Carmelo Anthony that if he came to Chicago “the game would be easy” 40
- LeBron James strips on stage, throws clothes into crowd (video) 23
- Is DeMarcus Cousins the big man Team USA can lean on? 22