May 1, 2011, 5:02 PM EDT
UPDATE 5:02 pm: It’s official, Tom Thibodeau is your Coach of the Year. He will be honored before the Bulls game Monday night.
As we said, this is well deserved. The Bulls had a roster with eight new players yet melded into a defensive power that finished with the best recoed in the NBA.
Philadelphia’s Doug Collins was second in the voting, San Antonio’s Gregg Popovich was third and Denver’s George Karl was fourth.
11:52 am: The Chicago Bulls are having a press conference at 3:30 (eastern) today for a “major announcement.”
That means either Derrick Rose is going to be named MVP or Tom Thibodeau is going to be named Coach of the Year.
Tom Thibodeau has won NBA Coach of the Year, the Tribune has confirmed.
It is possible Rose winning will be announced at the same time.
This is well deserved. The Bulls got 21 games better season over season, and improved to be the best defensive team in the NBA. Rose also credits the growth in his game to the pushing by Thibodeau.
Thibodeau will accept the award, if they can pry him out of the film room for a couple of minutes.
- PBT Extra: Can Phil Jackson help right the ship in New York? 0
- Phil Jackson reportedly close to taking Knicks job, nobody asked Carmelo about it 29
- PBT Power Rankings: Tell me again how the Spurs are too old…. 11
- Sunday NBA grades: All hail the unstoppable Jodie Meeks 13
- Harden’s 17 fourth-quarter points spark Rockets’ comeback win (VIDEO) 12