May 1, 2011, 2:00 PM EDT
But the Dallas Mavericks are not going to have him.
Mavericks coach Rick Carlisle made it as clear as could be, as reported by ESPN.
“He is not going to play in this series,” Carlisle told 103.3 FM ESPN’s Galloway and Company, adding that Butler has yet to be cleared by a doctor.
To expect him back from a ruptured right patellar tendon suffered in January was a little much. But the Mavericks starting five with Butler in the lineup was the single best five-man lineup in the NBA this season (in terms of +/- per 48 minutes). They could have used that this series.
- PBT Extra: Cavaliers’ improved defense helps them to Finals 3
- Reports: Bulls getting closer to firing Tom Thibodeau 21
- PBT Extra: Despite ending, Hawks had season worth celebrating 3
- Bucks’ Jared Dudley: “Most guys don’t want to play with Kobe” 61
- PBT Extra: Expect a healthy Stephen Curry for Game 5… sorry Houston 4
- Hawks’ excellent season shouldn’t be discredited because of playoff exit 24
- Cavaliers complete sweep of Hawks, advance to NBA Finals 82
- Kyrie Irving back in Cavaliers lineup for Game 4 vs. Hawks 5