Apr 28, 2011, 6:44 PM EST
Note to self: Remember to ask Mark Cuban new questions.
Remember back at Game 3 of the Portland/Dallas series when Mavericks owner Mark Cuban got hit with a projectile thrown from the stands by a Blazers fan? And we all smiled and moved on.
Well the Portland Tribune decided there should be more information on this. Whatever, you say. But that’s not exactly how Cuban responded to reporter Kerry Eggers questions about the incident, the paper reports.
“I got hit by something,” he said, pleasantly enough. “All I know is the pretty lady next to me jumped, something hit me in my face and that was it.”
Any idea what the object was?
Suddenly, Cuban’s mood darkened to the color of the Dallas sky (tornado warnings) that afternoon.
“What the (expletive) does it matter?” he asked. “Does it make a damn bit of difference at this point?”
“Well, I …” I began.
“Does it make a damn bit of difference at this point?” Cuban repeated.
“You sound irritated by it,” I said.
“Yeah, because it’s a dumb-ass question,” he said. “What’s the point of bringing it up? Are you going to go find somebody? Are you going to hunt the person down? … Ask me a real question.”
And it goes on from there.
Cuban later apologized to Eggers saying it was just the same old (expletive) over and over and he was tired of it.
We will note for the record that was a newspaper reporter that asked the question and dredged up a topic we Internet reporters had moved on from.
Except now we haven’t. We’re back here because Cuban lost it and blew up at a reporter. And it has all become news again. But Cuban knows that. There are times to blow it off and brush off the questions if you don’t want to answer them. But Cuban knows that, too.
There’s a lot more media around the Lakers for that second round series there. Better hope no Lakers fans throw something at him or that issue will never die.
- Report: Stephen Curry, Klay Thompson to participate in All-Star weekend’s Three-Point Contest 5
- Three Things We Learned from NBA Monday: Is it time to mention Anthony Davis with LeBron and Durant? 17
- PBT Extra: Who should be the All-Star Game reserves? 14
- Report: Kobe Bryant “definitively coming back to play next season” 29
- Kemba Walker to have knee surgery; Hornets looking at trades for depth while he is out 6
- Kobe Bryant to have surgery on shoulder, is done for season 8
- PBT’s Weekly NBA Power Rankings: Hawks continue to fly high 5
- Kobe Bryant wanted to sign with Michael Jordan’s Wizards 7