Apr 28, 2011, 8:36 PM EST
It’s part of the end of season ritual in the NBA, whether you win a championship or have racked up the most Ping-Pong balls in the lottery.
A day or two after your season ends you clean out the locker, then you have a meeting with the coach and usually the general manager. You all talk about goals for you coming into next season, things to work on during the summer.
Reports had surfaced that Andre Iguodala skipped out on that, according to the Philadelphia Daily News (via Hoopshype). However, it has since been reported that he was excused from that meeting due to a doctors appointment.
Suspicions were raised because he had expressed frustration with the way the Sixers were removed easily by the Heat in the first round. There were questions of if he wanted to return to Philly next season (he has two years plus an option year on his current deal, so he does not have a lot of leverage there).
“I never said I didn’t want to be here,” Iguodala said today. “Like I said, I just want to compete for titles. We made a lot of strides this year. I think we’re heading in the right direction.”
The Sixers are moving in the right direction, and Doug Collins got about as much out of this roster as possible this season.
But the gap between them and a contending team was made clear in the series with Miami. And that’s a big gap that will be hard to close.
- Home-court advantage means less than ever in NBA. Why? 11
- Nikola Mirotic’s unique style rewarding Bulls for waiting on him 13
- What We Learned in NBA Tuesday Night: Bulls fans should want more of this attacking Derrick Rose 21
- Derrick Rose hits step-back jumper in overtime, lifts Bulls past Warriors (VIDEO) 7
- It’s official: Zach LaVine, Greek Freak Antetokounmpo headline All-Star Dunk Contest 11
- Report: Stephen Curry, Klay Thompson to participate in All-Star weekend’s Three-Point Contest 8
- Three Things We Learned from NBA Monday: Is it time to mention Anthony Davis with LeBron and Durant? 35
- PBT Extra: Who should be the All-Star Game reserves? 18