Apr 28, 2011, 8:36 PM EST
It’s part of the end of season ritual in the NBA, whether you win a championship or have racked up the most Ping-Pong balls in the lottery.
A day or two after your season ends you clean out the locker, then you have a meeting with the coach and usually the general manager. You all talk about goals for you coming into next season, things to work on during the summer.
Reports had surfaced that Andre Iguodala skipped out on that, according to the Philadelphia Daily News (via Hoopshype). However, it has since been reported that he was excused from that meeting due to a doctors appointment.
Suspicions were raised because he had expressed frustration with the way the Sixers were removed easily by the Heat in the first round. There were questions of if he wanted to return to Philly next season (he has two years plus an option year on his current deal, so he does not have a lot of leverage there).
“I never said I didn’t want to be here,” Iguodala said today. “Like I said, I just want to compete for titles. We made a lot of strides this year. I think we’re heading in the right direction.”
The Sixers are moving in the right direction, and Doug Collins got about as much out of this roster as possible this season.
But the gap between them and a contending team was made clear in the series with Miami. And that’s a big gap that will be hard to close.
- Nuggets need to decide direction, then hire coach 17
- Report: Russell Westbrook ‘likely’ to return to Thunder lineup Wednesday, will wear protective mask 13
- Nuggets have fired head coach Brian Shaw 29
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: Goran Dragic got his revenge in concentrated form 4
- League suspends James Harden one game for kick to LeBron James’ groin 23
- PBT’s weekly NBA Power Rankings: Hawks seem to be out of malaise. Maybe. 11
- Report: Jimmy Butler could miss three to four weeks with elbow injury 7
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: James Harden, LeBron James want your MVP vote 11