Apr 27, 2011, 9:22 AM EDT
You don’t want to read too much into this — Michael Jordan and Scottie Pippen argued, Larry Bird and Kevin McHale yelled at each other on occasion, Shaquille O’Neal and Kobe Bryant had… okay, the last one is a bad example.
It probably had something to do with Westbrook being a ball hog for the night — Westbrook had 30 points but took 30 shots to get there, putting up a Kobe-the-gunner line. Durant had 31 points, took just 18 shots, but wanted more. Westbrook has that in him, you see flashes during the season when he decided he wanted to take over but he is not efficient doing it. And he has Durant on the team, feed that guy the ball.
That doesn’t mean the fight matters. Guys argue then forget about it and move on all the time. Part of the game, as both coach Scott Brooks and Durant told the Oklahoman.
“It was all about trying to do the right thing,” Thunder coach Scott Brooks said. “We got to get a stop. That’s what it was about. We got to stop the ball. Their point guards are getting inside the paint. The bigs and the guards have got to do a better job of stopping the basketball. That’s what the conversation was about.
“It’s funny because it’s in the playoffs on national TV, but it happens a lot. It doesn’t happen every timeout every game. But guys are emotional. Guys care about what we do and they express that and I like that. I do the same thing….”
“We’ve been doing that all season,” Durant said. “That’s a part of a basketball team. You’re not going to always be happy all the time. … Sometimes you have to scream at guys for them to get the point. That’s what we were doing.”
It doesn’t matter. Now, if they go at it again in a Game 5 loss at home Wednesday we can talk. But I don’t think we have to worry about that.
- Breaking down Western Conference playoff chase with two weeks left in season 3
- Breaking down Eastern Conference playoff chase with two weeks left in season 4
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: Dwyane Wade is going to will Heat into playoffs 12
- Sad news: Craig Sager announces his cancer has returned 15
- NBA players’ union head believes new labor deal can be reached without a work stoppage 9
- Kendrick Perkins says you’re blowing the LeBron James/Kevin Love thing way out of proportion 22
- Mark Cuban rips officials, NBA: ‘It’s criminal’ how Monta Ellis doesn’t get calls 25
- Shaquille O’Neal says he regrets leaving Magic for Lakers 43