Apr 27, 2011, 1:35 PM EDT
UPDATE 1:35 pm: The Warriors have decided to let Keith Smart go as coach, according to CSN Bay Area.
Smart had been the head coach of the Warriors for one year, but had spent the previous seven as an assistant.
This isn’t a shock — owner Joe Lacob wanted to put the team on a different path. Smart was never his guy, he was the convenient guy at the start of the season who got a one-year deal. But this is a franchise with a history of having a lack of direction or changing direction ever two seasons. Let’s hope that this is not a continuation of that trend.
12:45 pm: Golden State has taken its time with deciding whether or not to bring back coach Keith Smart.
You’d like to think that was because they have been formulating a long-term plan — keeping GM Larry Riley for a couple years and grooming Bob Meyers to be his replacement being part of that — but as this is the Warriors we’ll need evidence of a long-term plan before we believe it.
But the Oakland Tribune says an announcement on the fate of Smart may come as soon as Wednesday. And Smart may not like it.
A team source said a decision is expected within the next two or three days, while another source “wouldn’t be surprised if he’s let go (Wednesday).”
Smart was in trouble the moment he agreed to a one-year deal. He was solid in his debut — this was a team with about mid-30s in wins talent, and that’s what he got out of them. They got better.
The question is what kind of team is Golden State trying to build, and is Smart the guy to coach that kind of team? Like we said, we’d like to think the Warriors are looking at it that way, planning for the long term, but we need evidence first.
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 14
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 16
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 41
- Report: Sixers fighting against immediate changes to NBA Draft Lottery system 56
- Team USA going small ball, but how many bigs do they keep on the bench? 4
- Report: LeBron James more popular than he ever was with the Heat 14
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 6
- Kevin Durant knows you’re talking about his free agency but isn’t giving many clues. He liked what LeBron did. 17