Apr 27, 2011, 1:35 PM EDT
UPDATE 1:35 pm: The Warriors have decided to let Keith Smart go as coach, according to CSN Bay Area.
Smart had been the head coach of the Warriors for one year, but had spent the previous seven as an assistant.
This isn’t a shock — owner Joe Lacob wanted to put the team on a different path. Smart was never his guy, he was the convenient guy at the start of the season who got a one-year deal. But this is a franchise with a history of having a lack of direction or changing direction ever two seasons. Let’s hope that this is not a continuation of that trend.
12:45 pm: Golden State has taken its time with deciding whether or not to bring back coach Keith Smart.
You’d like to think that was because they have been formulating a long-term plan — keeping GM Larry Riley for a couple years and grooming Bob Meyers to be his replacement being part of that — but as this is the Warriors we’ll need evidence of a long-term plan before we believe it.
But the Oakland Tribune says an announcement on the fate of Smart may come as soon as Wednesday. And Smart may not like it.
A team source said a decision is expected within the next two or three days, while another source “wouldn’t be surprised if he’s let go (Wednesday).”
Smart was in trouble the moment he agreed to a one-year deal. He was solid in his debut — this was a team with about mid-30s in wins talent, and that’s what he got out of them. They got better.
The question is what kind of team is Golden State trying to build, and is Smart the guy to coach that kind of team? Like we said, we’d like to think the Warriors are looking at it that way, planning for the long term, but we need evidence first.
- Timberwolves run newspaper ad announcing Kevin Love-Andrew Wiggins trade with Cavaliers 0
- Steve Nash called Kobe Bryant a “mother f****** a******” but in a good way 3
- USA Basketball announces 12 man roster for World Cup; Parsons, Hayward, Lillard, Korver cut 22
- USA Basketball cruises to exhibition win over Puerto Rico with final roster cuts looming 1
- Report: Timberwolves to end up with Thad Young, Anthony Bennett as part of Kevin Love trade 79
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 13
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 16
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 54