Apr 27, 2011, 3:38 PM EDT
He’s not cheap at $14.2 million a year, and he’s not young at age 35 by next playoffs.
But the Knicks were not going to find a better point guard for their team next season.
So they picked up the option on Chauncey Billups, the team announced Wednesday.
“We have made a decision to keep Chauncey Billups for the upcoming 2011-12 season,” team president Donnie Walsh said in a released statement. “Chauncey, Amar’e and Carmelo are a great nucleus, as we continue to look to improve our team going into the off-season. Chauncey is an extremely talented and experienced point guard — we are very happy to have him back.”
This was the smart move by the Knicks.
Billups is not the long-term answer, but once the lockout is over there will not be a long-term point guard answer out there on the market. Billups is a good short-term answer and this is a one-year deal so it does not mess with Knicks long-term plans. While the Denver native may have balked at being traded to the Knicks to start with, Billups adjusted and brings them 17.5 points per game and 5.5 assists per game. It took him a while to get used to Mike D’Antoni’s system but by the end he was not turning the ball over much and his shooting percentages should improve from 40.3 percent. He’s not an ideal fit but he’s a pro and a solid fit.
It also brings a veteran presence both Stoudemire and Anthony respect to the locker room to help keep things in line. This guy has a ring and a finals MVP, which is what the other Knicks want.
Billups also is a huge potential trading chip next year should a point guard of the future (*cough*Chris Paul*cough*) become available via trade. But it does mean the Knicks have $53 million locked up in ‘Melo, Amar’e and Billups so if they are going to make any kind of serious move Billups could be the bait via trade.
- Report: Timberwolves to end up with Thad Young, Anthony Bennett as part of Kevin Love trade 68
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 12
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 16
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 54
- Report: Nike gets chance to match 10-year, $265 million offer to Kevin Durant from Under Armour 18
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 20
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 36
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 32