Apr 26, 2011, 2:09 PM EST
Now, just to add to the big comebacks and pressure shot in a fun series, we have some real bad blood between Dallas and Portland.
It stems from this play at the end of Dallas’ win to take a 3-2 series. With just 18 seconds left in a nine-point game, you usually see the defenders back off and the victorious team dribble out the clock. But Portland defenders kept pushing trying to force a turnover without fouling. Both teams were playing hard the full 48.
And with 15 seconds left Brian Cardinal set a hard screen that sent Blazers guard Patty Mills to the ground. And left him there for a few seconds. Watch the video by following this link. Cardinal leans into Mills to free up J.J. Barea. He flattens Mills when the game was essentially over. After the buzzer sounded Wes Mathews. Marcus Camby and Andre Miller jawed at Cardinal, DeShawn Stevenson jumped in and both sides did some posturing.
Portland fans and players are pretty pissed off, reports the Oregonian.
Mills said the Blazers players felt it was a “cheap” play by the Mavericks.
“I didn’t see it, I didn’t know anyone was there, but I was wondering why Barea was pushing the ball hard up the court,” Mills said. “But I found out why. He set it up (with Cardinal). He set it up….
“At that point in the game, I don’t know … I don’t know if you do that when you are up that much,” Mills said.
My read of the play — Portland kept defending hard, Amon Johnson in particular, and if you’re going to keep playing like that then Dallas should keep playing hard. So a hard screen gets set. If you don’t want to play that way then back up and don’t pressure the ball. That was not the vibe, so Dallas responded.
If you really don’t like it, win so you can set the screens at the end if you want.
- Knicks snap nine-game losing streak by crushing depleted Nets 0
- David Stern issues statement on passing of Nelson Mandela, players take to twitter 5
- Kobe Bryant sounds close to return, will not offer specific date 4
- Knicks and Nets might not remain so mockable for long, so enjoy it while you can 13
- Derrick Rose to those doubting his return: “You can be a fool if you want to” 13
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (41)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (38)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (36)