Apr 26, 2011, 2:09 PM EDT
Now, just to add to the big comebacks and pressure shot in a fun series, we have some real bad blood between Dallas and Portland.
It stems from this play at the end of Dallas’ win to take a 3-2 series. With just 18 seconds left in a nine-point game, you usually see the defenders back off and the victorious team dribble out the clock. But Portland defenders kept pushing trying to force a turnover without fouling. Both teams were playing hard the full 48.
And with 15 seconds left Brian Cardinal set a hard screen that sent Blazers guard Patty Mills to the ground. And left him there for a few seconds. Watch the video by following this link. Cardinal leans into Mills to free up J.J. Barea. He flattens Mills when the game was essentially over. After the buzzer sounded Wes Mathews. Marcus Camby and Andre Miller jawed at Cardinal, DeShawn Stevenson jumped in and both sides did some posturing.
Portland fans and players are pretty pissed off, reports the Oregonian.
Mills said the Blazers players felt it was a “cheap” play by the Mavericks.
“I didn’t see it, I didn’t know anyone was there, but I was wondering why Barea was pushing the ball hard up the court,” Mills said. “But I found out why. He set it up (with Cardinal). He set it up….
“At that point in the game, I don’t know … I don’t know if you do that when you are up that much,” Mills said.
My read of the play — Portland kept defending hard, Amon Johnson in particular, and if you’re going to keep playing like that then Dallas should keep playing hard. So a hard screen gets set. If you don’t want to play that way then back up and don’t pressure the ball. That was not the vibe, so Dallas responded.
If you really don’t like it, win so you can set the screens at the end if you want.
- USA cruises past Finland in World Cup opener, 114-55 15
- World Cup Preview: USA vs. Finland, what to expect 4
- James Harden on Kobe Bryant return: “He’s 20-year-old Kobe” 32
- Chris Paul discusses his signature shoe, hoops with media at launch of his Jordan Brand CP3 VIII (VIDEO) 5
- 67RIEFNS No. 1: Tom Thibodeau managing his bigs 22
- Derrick Rose knows injury questions will keep coming. And coming. And coming. 11
- FIBA World Cup preview: USA, Spain, then who else can medal? 2
- Official ‘Clippers’ Number 1 Fan’ on herself and Donald Sterling: ‘I’ll always feel it’s our team’ 21