Apr 25, 2011, 6:15 PM EST
UPDATE 6:15 pm: The ugly details have come out. And we mean ugly. Because any time the words “battery” and “pregnant woman” are mixed into the same sentence then ugly is maybe the kindest word you can use.
Derrick Caracter, 22, was arrested about 1:18 a.m. Sunday at the IHOP in the 800 block of Canal Street, said New Orleans Police spokeswoman Shereese Harper….
He “started grabbing and pulling” a pregnant waitress, prompting the manager to go outside and flag down a police officer, Harper said. The female officer tried to defuse the situation, Harper said, but Caracter remained obstinate. The officer arrested him.
He was handcuffed and taken to Orleans Parish jail and booked with one count of battery for hitting the waitress, as well as one count each of public intoxication and resisting arrest. Each charge is a municipal violation, police said.
Police have later said it was a cashier and she was not pregnant… so that makes it better? Dude got into a fight with a woman working at an IHOP. There are no good excuses here.
It seems in some ways odd to say this about the Lakers organization, one where the owner’s dates are legendary and his daughter and team president posed for Playboy, but the Lakers are a pretty button down, conservative organization. Separate that from the people in it, I’m saying the organization is much no nonsense and professional.
So this kind of thing…. we will see.
10:08 am: Ways to make sure you do not stick with a veteran team as a rookie include…
Derrick Caracter was arrested on battery charges stemming from an incident near the Lakers hotel in New Orleans, according to the Los Angeles Times. Apparently there was some kind of fight Caracter was involved in, but there are no details of the incident yet.
Caracter is a second-round pick who the Lakers like — he has shown flashes (at Summer League an in the season) of having what it takes to be an NBA power forward, but he is raw and needs a lot of work. He spent some time in the D-League this past season to get the seasoning he needs because he’s not going to get a lot of run on the Lakers. He appeared sparingly in half the teams’ games and looked like a rookie, trying to find his shot against this level of defender and turning the ball over too much because it seems the game was moving too fast for him.
This may or may not impact his future with the Lakers, hard to say how they react. But Caracter slid to the second round of the last draft not because of his talent but because of questions of work ethic and off-the-court concerns. This is not going to help that perception among teams.
- Paul Pierce practiced Monday, could return vs. Celtics Tuesday 0
- Report: Kings not done trading, Jason Thompson next on block 4
- The Extra Pass: Raptors’ salary dump trade could mean a few more wins, too; plus Sunday recaps 1
- Kobe is back but loss to Raptors shows Lakers still have a lot of work to do 9
- Sunday night NBA Grades: Rudy Gay traded to Kings, Kobe returns for Lakers 3
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (65)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (52)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (47)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (44)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (43)