Apr 25, 2011, 6:15 PM EDT
UPDATE 6:15 pm: The ugly details have come out. And we mean ugly. Because any time the words “battery” and “pregnant woman” are mixed into the same sentence then ugly is maybe the kindest word you can use.
Derrick Caracter, 22, was arrested about 1:18 a.m. Sunday at the IHOP in the 800 block of Canal Street, said New Orleans Police spokeswoman Shereese Harper….
He “started grabbing and pulling” a pregnant waitress, prompting the manager to go outside and flag down a police officer, Harper said. The female officer tried to defuse the situation, Harper said, but Caracter remained obstinate. The officer arrested him.
He was handcuffed and taken to Orleans Parish jail and booked with one count of battery for hitting the waitress, as well as one count each of public intoxication and resisting arrest. Each charge is a municipal violation, police said.
Police have later said it was a cashier and she was not pregnant… so that makes it better? Dude got into a fight with a woman working at an IHOP. There are no good excuses here.
It seems in some ways odd to say this about the Lakers organization, one where the owner’s dates are legendary and his daughter and team president posed for Playboy, but the Lakers are a pretty button down, conservative organization. Separate that from the people in it, I’m saying the organization is much no nonsense and professional.
So this kind of thing…. we will see.
10:08 am: Ways to make sure you do not stick with a veteran team as a rookie include…
Derrick Caracter was arrested on battery charges stemming from an incident near the Lakers hotel in New Orleans, according to the Los Angeles Times. Apparently there was some kind of fight Caracter was involved in, but there are no details of the incident yet.
Caracter is a second-round pick who the Lakers like — he has shown flashes (at Summer League an in the season) of having what it takes to be an NBA power forward, but he is raw and needs a lot of work. He spent some time in the D-League this past season to get the seasoning he needs because he’s not going to get a lot of run on the Lakers. He appeared sparingly in half the teams’ games and looked like a rookie, trying to find his shot against this level of defender and turning the ball over too much because it seems the game was moving too fast for him.
This may or may not impact his future with the Lakers, hard to say how they react. But Caracter slid to the second round of the last draft not because of his talent but because of questions of work ethic and off-the-court concerns. This is not going to help that perception among teams.
- Report: If Kevin Love leaves Cavaliers, Lakers are team to beat in free agency 26
- Rumor: Kevin Love out minimum of two weeks, will likely miss most or all of series vs. Bulls 38
- Monta Ellis, J.J. Barea pairing ignites Mavericks offense, gets Dallas Game 4 win over Houston 9
- Wizards blow out Raptors to complete first-round sweep 17
- Chris Paul scores 34 points, Clippers win Game 4 to even series with Spurs 6
- Cavaliers advance to second round – but but maybe lose Kevin Love and moral high ground in process 61
- Mike Conley out for Game 4 with “serious” facial injury, no timetable for return 6
- Grizzlies start fast, hang on to beat Portland, take 3-0 series lead 2