Apr 25, 2011, 2:20 AM EDT
In the regular season, Kobe Bryant would have come out…
Oh, who are we kidding? Kobe would have stayed in if this was a pickup game on the blacktop at the local junior high. It’s how he’s wired. But it was a playoff game so in case there was any doubt, he was waving off Shannon Brown.
And he told ESPNLosAngeles’ Dave McMenamin that he plans to go in the crucial Game 5 Tuesday
“It’s sore,” Bryant said, conducting his postgame interview in the training room area of the visitor’s locker room at New Orleans Arena rather than at the podium for the televised press conference. “It just rolled over. It’s been weeks since I hurt it last and when it happens, when you roll your ankle once, it’s easy to go and it just went….
“I should play (in Game 5),” Bryant said. “It’s going to take a lot to stop me from playing.
“I’m concerned, as I am about any injury, but I’ve played through so many of them it kind of becomes old hat for me.”
That said he left the arena on crutches.
With 1:30 left in the game Kobe stepped wrong and tweaked his left ankle, the same one where he has been battling a sprain for much of the season. He was simply tracking Willie Green across the key when the toe of his foot just caught and twisted under him in a fluke play.
If Kobe’s ankle slows him, if it throws his shot off, the Lakers are going to need more from their big men. But really, they need more from their big men anyway.
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Indiana Pacers 2
- Celtics owner: Rajon Rondo ‘super stubborn,’ harder than average to coach 14
- Bruce Bowen says blame for James Harden’s defense falls on McHale, Rockets 18
- NBA to review domestic violence policies in wake of NFL’s ugliness. It shouldn’t have taken that. 13
- Cavaliers lift ban on fan who ran onto court with LeBron James shirt 16
- Blake Griffin said he knew Donald Sterling was racist, wasn’t really surprised by tape 14
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Chicago Bulls 11
- Tony Parker hits a back over-the-head halfcourt shot (VIDEO) 8