Apr 24, 2011, 6:15 PM EDT
If you believed in conspiracy theories, you could say that Miami is going to make a lot of extra money out of the extra home date for a Game 5 Tuesday.
We’re not that guy. We think Miami came out flat as a lot of teams do up 3-0 and let the Philadelphia hang around then at the end of the game the Sixers best players out executed the Heat’s best and they get the win.
It means there will be a Game 5 Tuesday night. And that will be the end of the series. Make no mistake the Heat will show up focused for that one at home and overwhelm the 76ers as they did the first couple games.
But for one game, the Sixers had their day. They played harder, they executed better at the end.
Philadelphia raced out to a 14-4 lead showing off one of the little secrets of this series — the Philly starters have outplayed the Sixers starters. It’s true (they were +25 for the series through the first quarter of this game). Plus Mike Bibby was taking more shots than Lebron James, and that is a bad sign.
But as you expect, the Heat crawled back and were up 6 with 90 seconds to go and you thought the sweep was on. But the Sixers played with pride — give them credit for not rolling over.
One minute left, Spoelstra runs the Wade-LeBron pick-and-roll. Wade had LeBron posted up on Jrue (Holiday), but couldn’t get him the pass…
On other end, Wade relaxes on defense and Jrue drills a 3-pointer on him…
Next play, Wade clears out, misses fadeaway J. Next play, Lou Williams pulls up for a 25-footer and drills another 3 on Wade…
Really though, Wade was the best of the big three today. Chris Bosh lived on the perimeter (where he is not effective). The Heat’s bigger problems was terrible point guard play from Mike Bibby and Mario Chalmers, which was by-and-large awful.
Holiday took advantage of that. Lou Williams had his moments. Philly played good defense and for one day, one game that was enough.
It’s will not be Tuesday. Miami will want a few days off before taking on Boston starting the following weekend. But for one day Philly showed why they were a pretty good team that made the playoffs this season.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- Five top candidates for NBA Rookie of the Year 17
- NBA GMs surveyed predict LeBron will win MVP, Spurs will repeat as champions 27
- Owners vote down NBA Draft lottery reform, system to stay same for this season 42
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 preview: Houston Rockets 23
- Kobe Bryant responds to ESPN article with basically a shrug (VIDEO) 19
- Paul George refutes report he didn’t want to play with Kobe Bryant: ‘Media reaching again’ 22
- PBT Extra preview: Lakers, Celtics big name teams headed to lottery 12
- Could lottery reform be bad for small market teams? Sam Presti argues yes. 23